Greetings from the Burbs of Boston

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
ItsThatRick

Post by ItsThatRick »

Hi Everyone
My name is Rick and I'm from the burbs of Boston .. but you probably guessed that by now. Unlike most of you, I don't have any voice acting experience nor have I taken any lessons. Although I have taken a couple of improv classes ... does that count? :wink:

Since C19, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and I was looking for an interesting project other than home improvement. I have my grandfather to thank for this one. He was a drummer in a polka band right up to the day he died. While cleaning out his storage locker, I came across a treasure trove of band recordings he made on cassette tapes. I decided to clean them up and burn them to CD before they degraded. That meant learning about DAWs and some basic mastering. While I'm not an expert on audio, I'm happy to help out with some recording/audio questions.

Just recently, a DJ friend asked me to help her with some narration for one of her openings. It wasn't anything special just a short script. She gave me a condenser mic to make the recording and left it with me "for future use". I was looking for a way to put it to use and that's when I came across LibraVox.

I've been looking through the wiki .. there's tons there to go through. That's about it. Looking forward to participating and hoping the my narrations aren't cringe worthy. :lol:
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ItsThatRick wrote: May 26th, 2021, 9:57 am Hi Everyone
My name is Rick and I'm from the burbs of Boston .. but you probably guessed that by now. Unlike most of you, I don't have any voice acting experience nor have I taken any lessons. Although I have taken a couple of improv classes ... does that count? :wink:

Since C19, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and I was looking for an interesting project other than home improvement. I have my grandfather to thank for this one. He was a drummer in a polka band right up to the day he died. While cleaning out his storage locker, I came across a treasure trove of band recordings he made on cassette tapes. I decided to clean them up and burn them to CD before they degraded. That meant learning about DAWs and some basic mastering. While I'm not an expert on audio, I'm happy to help out with some recording/audio questions.

Just recently, a DJ friend asked me to help her with some narration for one of her openings. It wasn't anything special just a short script. She gave me a condenser mic to make the recording and left it with me "for future use". I was looking for a way to put it to use and that's when I came across LibraVox.

I've been looking through the wiki .. there's tons there to go through. That's about it. Looking forward to participating and hoping the my narrations aren't cringe worthy. :lol:
Hi Rick,

It would feel a bit silly giving you a belated welcome to LibriVox, since you're already something a veteran on our forums, but I can at least thank you for sharing the story. :)

Michael
ItsThatRick

Post by ItsThatRick »

Hey Michael!
I'll take the belated welcome if you don't mind a belated response. :wink: TY
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

ItsThatRick wrote: May 26th, 2021, 9:57 am Hi Everyone
My name is Rick and I'm from the burbs of Boston .. but you probably guessed that by now.
Exactly! :lol:
Welcome, Rick! 🧒
Unlike most of you, I don't have any voice acting experience nor have I taken any lessons. Although I have taken a couple of improv classes ... does that count? :wink:
I believe, that does. 🐯
I've been looking through the wiki .. there's tons there to go through.
A learning curve, for sure. Happy to see you passed it well. 👍
That's about it. Looking forward to participating and hoping the my narrations aren't cringe worthy. :lol:
I`m sure they will be very good.
Thanks for coming and good luck! 🤝
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄