Solo [Recollections of the eventful life of a soldier] [by Joseph Donaldson]

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Davidmorris

Post by Davidmorris »

This book is by my great great great great great great grandfather. I plan on reading this as a summer project. This is my first time recording, so I could use some help.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

Very cool that you have a personal connection to the book. :)

I do see that a few editions are available at archive.org: https://archive.org/search.php?query=Recollections+of+the+eventful+life+of+a+soldier+joseph+Donaldson so you won't have a problem finding a clearly-PD text.

We recommend two steps before starting in on a solo recording:

(1) We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to make sure you're exporting at the correct bit rate, have your recording in mono, etc. It would be a shame to record a whole section (or book!), only to have to scrap it and redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

(2) Claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.

I'm moving this out of the Launch Pad for now, since it's not actually a project ready to launch. When you're ready to do the solo, follow the instructions in the thread, "Want to start a solo recording?" (at the top of the thread list here in the Launch Pad), which includes a link to the New Project Template Generator and other pertinent information. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Davidmorris

Post by Davidmorris »

Thanks for your advice. I have decided to do some chapters of collaborative projects before I do my solo.
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

Davidmorris wrote: April 8th, 2021, 6:03 am Thanks for your advice. I have decided to do some chapters of collaborative projects before I do my solo.
Good decision!
Welcome, David! 🍏
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄