Hello!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
SandyKalmus

Post by SandyKalmus »

Hi folks,

I too am new here and so quickly already frustrated :? . I've been talking about reading for a long time. My partner bought me a microphone and that was the push I needed 8-) . Over the past week or so, I've been learning how to record and edit. I finally got an account set up and was about to choose a poem for my first project, but saw that the 1-minute test recording is highly recommended. So, I did that. AND GRRRRR.....apparently, Windows 10 and Realtek do not work nicely :twisted: , on my computer. My usb mic is recording too low. I've even deleted and reinstalled drivers. There is no way to increase the volume on the microphone. I've tried so many ways. There isn't a mixer available.

I now have two more ideas :hmm: . One is to create a sound box and the other is to try Linux. I am hoping LibriVox and Audacity work there, as I have never used Linux before. I am about done with my patience though as only 2 things in the world really stress me out, my ex, and technology when it doesn't work the first 10 times. hahaha.

I thought this would be a great outlet for my desire to work on a creative project with other people. :9: Everyone on the forums seems so nice and helpful. For now, I am still excited. :clap: And I hope I have a good enough voice for this.

Just wanted to reach out, say hi, share where I'm at, and see if I can find more patience.

Sandy :D
TanG

Post by TanG »

Hello Sandy,
I'm not an expert but I think it is necessary to know your mike model too, so please write it down and maybe someone will be able to help you.
P.S. Audacity works on Linux but installing Linux isn't as simple as Windows, so please don't rush there.
Tan.
SandyKalmus

Post by SandyKalmus »

Thank you so much. I just figured it out. In case anyone else has this problem using a usb mic with Windows 10.
With Mic plugged in go to Settings>>System>>Sound
Scroll down
Under Advanced Sound Options select App Volume and Device Preferences
Choose 2nd box at Audacity (It may or may not say mic). In the drop down box choose USB mic.

Then you'll have to figure out how to adjust the volume to record at the appropriate level. I'm working on figuring that out now.
TanG

Post by TanG »

Great, I'm happy that you managed to fix the main problem =)
For checking your sound level of the recorded chunks you might use Checker
I'm bad at explaining things so I'll just leave you a link to some good videos viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33439, maybe that would help
Tan.
SandyKalmus

Post by SandyKalmus »

Thank you. I did get Checker. And I used it to help me with the 1-minute test. This is a bit challenging. I do hope in time, it gets easier.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SandyKalmus wrote: March 6th, 2021, 9:19 pm Thank you. I did get Checker. And I used it to help me with the 1-minute test. This is a bit challenging. I do hope in time, it gets easier.
Great job sticking with it! I see that you just received your OK on your test, so it worked! :clap: As a side note, in case it isn't obvious, this is the reason we ask people to do a test. :wink:

It certainly will get easier. Most everyone here experiences a fairly steep learning curve when they first get started, but then they find that their skills, both tech skills and reading skills, improve quickly. Best of luck to you, and I hope to run into you in a project quite soon!
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

SandyKalmus wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:24 am Hi folks,

Sandy :D
Welcome, Sandy! 🦝
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄