*awkward wave* Hello

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

It's amazing to me, seeing how many people are consistently flowing in to create new accounts. I'm finally one of them! So hello and hello.

I'm an avid reader, though in the last decade I've converted more to audiobooks, due to their convenience for consumption on a busy adult schedule. I heard about Librivox from my Dad when I was just out of high school, apparently just a few years after it was created, and I wanted to volunteer even then, but I haven't had a lot of spare time until now. I did read out loud a lot to my family in previous years, and I've thought about creating videos for my nieces of reading poetry aloud, because there's something special about the cadence of voice mixed with the magic of the words, and the ability to share the experience by hearing it together.

As I said on my One-minute-test submission, I'm using the basics of what Librivox recommended to download for free, mixed with what I have already, so that looks like: Audacity to record on my Windows 10 desktop, via a USB Corsair headset mic, which unfortunately seems to have a factory defect that picks up sound very clearly yet VERY quiet, so I used the MP3Gain app to amplify my reading to an acceptable dB level.
It's a little obnoxious, but a do-able work-around for all my recordings... if it actually works. (I'm hoping to make this a hobby, but I'll use what I have before buying a new microphone)

I'm always open to feedback, so let me jump on the bandwagon and let's get this show on the road!
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hello! Welcome to LibriVox! We’re so glad you joined us!
We’re very sorry for the delay in answering this post. The more experienced volunteers seem to be busy and don’t check this part of the forum as much- we’re working on it!
I’d been enjoying LV audiobooks ever since I was a kid, but didn’t sign up till a couple years ago. It’s been so much fun. I love the global community here, which is great- we have volunteers from all over the world, all different ages, all different ethnicities.
If you have any questions about anything at all, please don’t hesitate to ask! We’re here to help you out.
Have fun!

God bless,
Rachel
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: January 29th, 2021, 2:39 pm So hello and hello.

I'm always open to feedback, so let me jump on the bandwagon and let's get this show on the road!
Hello, nice girl with a tender voice! 💐

I`m also pleasantly surprised by the flow of newbies here and just wonder if it was the same before COVID which closed many book lovers at home.
Thank you for taking part of this cooperative magic and see you around) 🐾

Be blessed! 💙
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄