George MacDonald Fan

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
benjaminpwhite

Post by benjaminpwhite »

LibriVox has helped me utterly fall in love with George MacDonald. I often liken the experience of listening to his very thick prose to breathing through a CPAP machine. I have never experienced this personally, but people have described submitting to oxygen being forced down your lungs as feeling at first like drowning. However, having the words of this Victorian author forced down my ears through the ear buds has allowed me to appreciate him in ways that I never could have done on the page for reasons connected to my own distractibility and weak perseverance. I am so grateful for free audio versions of his works. Also, I appreciate the communal nature of the reading. It feels like we are in community around this great sage and that enriches the experience, too. I have just begun to contribute to completing the GMD catalogue as a reader after listening to dozens of his books read by this community. Thank you so much! Special shout-outs to Devorah Allen and Hannah Mary.

About me (from circleofhope.net/3800marltonpike):

I’m looking for the light and I think it’s ready to be revealed in all kinds of unexpected places, even you. I’ve found a lot of light in Circle of Hope, the church where I am pastor, over the past two decades. I grew up as a part of this church, playing my part even before I knew exactly what that meant. I became a Christian through soaking up the love of God in Christ as expressed to me in this community. The rhythms of cells and Sunday meetings have shaped my life and my vocation since I was a teenager. And now I’m the pastor! Wow! My wife, Gwyneth, and our two boys moved to South Jersey a few years ago from Philly to lead this congregation. I think it’s really fun to make stuff with Circle of Hope. I’m pretty ready to say “yes!” to most crazy ideas. God’s got us. I bring a poet’s sensibility to my Sunday messages and worship design, but I always want it to lead us to something we DO together. Even if it doesn’t work out, it’s usually worth it to try. I write about some of my adventures and other thoughts on my blog (circleofhope.net/benwhite). I’d love to meet you soon. Let’s do stuff.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Hello, Benjamin, and welcome to LibriVox. I'm sorry about the long delay in answering your post.

The introductory email will guide you through the first steps, and then you can dive into the projects that you fancy. I'm sure you'll find many projects where you can share your interests. (It's always best to read something that you enjoy reading, as the amount of time you spend on a project can be four or five times the length of the final recording ... and your pleasure comes through in your voice, too.)

Phil has made a video to introduce you to LibriVox, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLWam9cfVo&t=74s

And you can always get help in the Need Help subforum, further down the main page of the forum.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
benjaminpwhite

Post by benjaminpwhite »

:D
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

benjaminpwhite wrote: January 25th, 2021, 6:10 am Let’s do stuff.
Welcome, Benjamin! 🌞
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄