Hello!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
armeers

Post by armeers » January 17th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Hello!

New here! Hoping to find a new hobby (eventually career perhaps) in audiobook narration! I have submitted my Test recording here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test_armeers.mp3

I think I need some help with figuring out my volume, I think it is too low? I tried all of the options for system preferences on my computer as well increasing recording volume with the slider all the way up in Audacity.
Thanks for any help and any readings that may come my way! Can't wait to start recording and become an expert at Audacity!!

Alli
From Denver, CO
:D armeers

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » January 18th, 2021, 9:25 pm

Hi, Alli, and welcome! I hope you will enjoy your time here!

This is actually not the right place to post a test, which may be why you haven't gotten feedback yet. It should really go in Listeners and Editors Wanted. However, I happened to notice by chance that it was here, so I went ahead and checked it for you.

I enjoyed listening to your test! Your voice is pleasant and even, your consonants are clear and free of any awkward plosive-popping, and there is no distracting background noise. But, as you already knew, your volume is too low. It comes in at 83.7 dB, and we aim for 89, with an allowable range of 86-92. Now, if you've already checked your volume level both on your system and in Audacity (and you don't have a gain knob or anything like that on the mic itself, do you?), then you'll just have to amplify the track after recording it as part of your regular process. It's easy to do in Audacity.

Highlight the whole track (an easy way is to click the little "Select" button on the left side), then go to Effect>Amplify. In the first box, enter the number of dB you want to amplify. (You can also use this effect to make the track quieter by entering a negative number.) For this track, entering 5 will put you in just the right spot.

Be careful to make sure that the box that says "Allow clipping" is NOT checked. It's possible that for some recordings, you might have one or two loud spikes in volume that will clip (become too loud and as a result distorted) if they're amplified too much. If that happens, you can shrink those spikes manually by highlighting just those spots and de-amplifying them, then amplify the whole track as above. You could also use the Compress effect, which will shrink loud parts, but leave quiet parts alone. Here's a video demonstrating that process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c

However, that is for another day. Clipping isn't a problem in this test. So just amplify by 5, re-upload, and post your link (preferably in Listeners and Editors Wanted) for another check. :thumbs:

HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK » February 23rd, 2021, 5:24 am

armeers wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 8:37 pm
Hello!

New here! Hoping to find a new hobby (eventually career perhaps) in audiobook narration! I have submitted my Test recording here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test_armeers.mp3

I think I need some help with figuring out my volume, I think it is too low? I tried all of the options for system preferences on my computer as well increasing recording volume with the slider all the way up in Audacity.
Thanks for any help and any readings that may come my way! Can't wait to start recording and become an expert at Audacity!!

Alli
From Denver, CO
Hi Alli! 🧒

As far as I understand, in order for you to be able to record your audiobooks, you must first completely pass the 1-minute test and complete it successfully. So don't lose your enthusiasm! You are on the right track! 🐾
Cheers 🌝
MARCH to the FINISH LINE - 2021 Cleanup Month
Aspire to inspire before we expire! :thumbs:
Alexander, by HandmadePSK