Greetings to all from Mexico City!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
sanflolo

Post by sanflolo »

My name is Santiago. I was born and raised in Mexico City and am currently studying mechanical engineering. I know, my career has nothing to do with reading (and us engineers have a bad rap for not reading and not knowing how to write) but my mother studied linguistics and I've always had a knack for books!
I first discovered LibriVox when scouring the internet for a free collection of Audiobooks for my grandfather. While I had never been interested in audiobooks myself, I couldn't help but notice there was a "Volunteer" section, to which I didn't give much thought at first. Nevertheless, the idea stayed in the back of my mind and here I am, a couple of weeks later, seeking to volunteer and record some audiobooks (maybe a solo project is a bit much for a newcomer, but it sounds exciting!). I could read in both Spanish and English, and I'm very much looking forward to working with all of you!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Helllo, and welcome to LibriVox. I'm sorry about the long delay in answering your post.

You're especially welcome for being able to record in a non-English voice ... and we always need PLs in non-English languages, too. That's "proof listeners", people who check recordings for errors and things like volume being too low or high, or too much background noise.

You may feel that there's a lot of information to take in, but in essence it's fairly simple to get started: initial recording set-up; submit a voice sample in the Listeners Wanted subforum for a technical check; and making a few short recordings to get a feel for how our system works. I would wait a while before starting a solo work, though, as you'll find from your short recordings that it probably takes four or five times as long to produce a recording as it takes to listen to the final product.

Phil has produced a useful introductory video (and many others, aiming at more specific aspects of the system): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLWam9cfVo&t=74s

You'll find it a friendly and helpful community. I hope you enjoy yourself.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

sanflolo wrote: January 13th, 2021, 1:19 pm My name is Santiago. I was born and raised in Mexico City and am currently studying mechanical engineering. I know, my career has nothing to do with reading (and us engineers have a bad rap for not reading and not knowing how to write) but my mother studied linguistics and I've always had a knack for books!
I first discovered LibriVox when scouring the internet for a free collection of Audiobooks for my grandfather. While I had never been interested in audiobooks myself, I couldn't help but notice there was a "Volunteer" section, to which I didn't give much thought at first. Nevertheless, the idea stayed in the back of my mind and here I am, a couple of weeks later, seeking to volunteer and record some audiobooks (maybe a solo project is a bit much for a newcomer, but it sounds exciting!). I could read in both Spanish and English, and I'm very much looking forward to working with all of you!
Hello Santiago! One of friendly forms of my own name in Ukraine is Santiago too. There are no serious reasons for that, just a kind friendly joke) 🤠
And engineering is one of my life-long passions. I studied in a physical and mathematical lyceum, and now I create my own toys and jewelry. Engineers rule!
I believe you`ll have a good time here.
Welcome, thank you for volunteering and all the best! 🐌
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄