I'm New

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
tacowallie

Post by tacowallie » December 4th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Hi my name is Jacqualyn and I finally figured out how to record my one minute test. Please give it a listen and let me know what I can do to improve my recording. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to more recording. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tacowallie.mp3

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » December 7th, 2020, 3:21 pm

tacowallie wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 4:03 pm
Hi my name is Jacqualyn and I finally figured out how to record my one minute test. Please give it a listen and let me know what I can do to improve my recording. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to more recording. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tacowallie.mp3
Hi, Jacqualyn :)

I was visiting the Myths and Legends collection, and came looking to see if your test had gone through yet. I'm surprised nobody's commented yet for you, but things are weird all around because of the pandemic and the holidays.

So I'll have a listen for you - also, I'm not going to release the reservation on that section yet, so don't worry, you have a slot still. :)
~Lynette in Colorado, USA
My Sections
Still dealing with Covid long-hauler issues, but I am recording again now, very slowly

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » December 7th, 2020, 3:31 pm

tacowallie wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 4:03 pm
You have a very nice reading pace! I'm sure your readings will be great! You're getting some plosives on the p's and some t's, but I think you can resolve that just by giving a little more space between your mouth and the mic.

We do need to get your system's specs fixed to the settings that LibriVox has to work with. When I run your file through Checker, it lists these changes that are required:

• The bit rate should be 128 kbps.
  • The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound.
  • The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR).
  • The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).  

Are you using Audacity for the recording software? If so, the "Configure" section of This Page has good directions about setting all those specs the way they need to be.

Once you've made those changes, go ahead and record the sentence again, export it to mp3 and upload the way you did the first time, then post the link as a reply in this thread. :)
My Sections
Still dealing with Covid long-hauler issues, but I am recording again now, very slowly

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » December 7th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Oh! I just noticed this thread was posted in the New Here board - which is why nobody checked your test yet. They look for these in the "Listeners & Editors Wanted" board. 8-)
My Sections

HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK » January 10th, 2021, 3:04 am

Hi Jacqualyn! I am not an expert, but I am sure that this is an absolutely perfect start and with time you will successfully put all the relevant technical details in order! After all, all this can be changed and acquired with experience, but you already have a pleasant voice and enthusiasm, and this is the most important thing! I wish you success - in this and in everything! :clap:
Aspire to inspire before we expire! :thumbs:
Alexander, by HandmadePSK