Hello from SoCal! (oh ... and quick question!)

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Read4Alera

Post by Read4Alera » September 15th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Hello from a Team of folks in Southern California that recently found this site and are enthusiastic about getting started! Hope everyone's loving doing a little extra reading and isn't too surprised by the sound of their own voice :)

Me and another colleague have spent a bit of time digging around and reading up on this site and had a few questions I was really hoping you could help answer. There's a team of 10 colleagues at work that want to read a book together. We've agreed upon roles for reading, listening and editing and wanted to try to do it all ourselves. Here are the questions:

1. I originally posted the book in the products launch pad, but it didn't seem like there was a way to limit to just being the 10 of us, so I deleted the post. Is there a way to keep it just us 10?
2. Can we just do a solo recording and share the same login? It sounds like we might get denied from being a Book Coordinator on a collaborative project since none of us have a bunch of experience on the platform.

Thanks so much for your help and sorry if I missed a post somewhere on how to best do this!

Best,
Ian

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 15th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Welcome!

There have been similar projects. Set it up as a group project, but put "FULL" in the subject line rather than "group" or "solo". Then you can post a reply in the thread (after you post the initial project info) saying that you've got a group that's going to do the whole thing.

The experience required to be a group project coordinator is due to things like people claiming and then disappearing, or claiming half the project for themselves, or submitting sections that have issues, or readers asking questions about the project/recording. This project eliminates (I would hope) the issues with the claimants/readers. :) So I think this would be a group project, but a closed one (only available to your group).

But even with a solo project, we do HIGHLY recommend that people record a section or two in a group project, to get their feet wet (and get used to uploading, and used to the Magic Window - as a soloist is in charge of maintaining the info in the Magic Window). So whoever is going to coordinate this, it would be well to get a little bit of experience before diving into it.

Finally, with that many people, someone will have to ensure that the tech settings for the submissions are all okay. Each reader could do the test recording as usual (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test) or if you have one point person who is knowledgeable, they could ensure each person's recordings meet the specs. Here's a bit of info on what needs to be checked: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36489

Any other "quick" questions? :lol:
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

Read4Alera

Post by Read4Alera » September 15th, 2020, 3:21 pm

You rock! Thanks so much and sounds good. I'll resubmit it right away. Appreciate you sharing the inside scoop!

Cheers,
ian