Another new reader from the UK

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash » June 21st, 2020, 5:01 am

Hallo!

I've been inspired to volunteer as a reader after enjoying some truly excellent recordings of classic works of literature on Librivox. I am a retired schoolmaster who used to teach English Literature.

I have a particular interest in the works of John Henry Newman (1801-1890) on whom I did my PhD and a couple of whose works I have edited. Apart from being the greatest theologian in the English-speaking world since the Reformation (he did for theology what Darwin later did for biology), he writes some of the most beautiful prose in the English language. But of course I love many other writers too.

I'm mainly interested in solo recording rather then collaborative ones, simply because my own preference as a listener is to hear the same voice throughout a book - though I'd be open to contributing a single poem or to an anthology of various poets.

Also, as a British listener, I think it's helpful to have more British accents among the Librivox recordings. No offence to all you excellent American readers! And I of courser always want to hear an American accent for an American work (such as the novels of Henry James, superbly read by the late Professor Nicholas Clifford). But to British ears, a work by an English writer can sometimes sound wrong read in an American accent - just as I imagine it would sound odd to hear a great American work like 'Huckleberry Finn' read by a plummy English voice! So, I humbly offer my British accent for works by British authors.

Now I must start work as a reader!

Andrew Nash, England.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » June 22nd, 2020, 5:05 pm

Welcome to LibriVox Andrew! I completely agree with you about some accents grating a bit when read by the 'wrong' country of origin. I simply cannot do English and avoid those. But I can sure do Huckleberry Finn!! And I agree about Cardinal John Newman; a great theologian and writer. You will enjoy being creative here as well as having fun. I've made a little video to welcome people; It has some basic info about us that I thought might be helpful to know right at the start. In any case ask lots of questions, we are a helpful bunch here and you will fit right in. https://youtu.be/mwtn_2d3_qs

Oh, and Isabella, the happy Librivox penguin (who is currently working from her home of course) welcomes you too with her happy dance Image
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

A pun has not fully matured until it is full groan

Pssss! Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize » June 23rd, 2020, 6:23 pm

Very interesting comments Andrew, I've always been fascinated by the many different 'brands' of English, even within countries. I always make a point of trying to pinpoint where a person is from (here in the states I mean - Britain, Australia and even Canada are easy) by their accent and, perhaps patterns of speech. I even could (I think) discern folks from Cincinnati vs. my home town of Cleveland (about 200 miles apart) I'll be honest with you though, it's often a strain for me to catch everything said in British TV (or 'Telly') shows, (I think less from the accent as from patterns of usage.) It's the "Queen's English" though, so for me she is the final arbiter of proper speaking! Enjoy your time here!

AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash » June 26th, 2020, 7:06 am

Hi Phil,
Thanks for your reply. I've been watching your very helpful video about the 1 minute test. I'm now ready to upload it. But how do I know who my MC is?
Andrew

AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash » June 26th, 2020, 7:16 am

Phil - It's OK. I've just found your second video! Sorry!
Andrew

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » June 26th, 2020, 9:36 am

AndrewNash wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:16 am
Andrew
Great. Just keep trying and asking questions. :thumbs:

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » June 26th, 2020, 10:20 am

AndrewNash wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:16 am
Andrew
Your 1 minute test has the official OK so it's time for you to find a project you like and ask for a section or two. :thumbs: