Hi from England! (A few q's)

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
nedwards

Post by nedwards »

Hi there,

I'm Nick and I'm from Yorkshire in the north of England. I'm new to recording and I wanted to ask a few questions:

1. The Logitech desktop mic recommended in the newbie guide isn't available on Amazon in the UK - is there any similar alternative anyone would recommend?
2. Does anyone have any guidance of what sort of recording to start with, or is it completely up to the individual?
3. When it comes to proposing and recording your own full books, is this reserved for experienced volunteers?

Looking forward to getting started!
FalconSays

Post by FalconSays »

Hi Nick,

I am new here too and still learning, but I saw your questions have not been addressed yet so I wanted to jump in.

As far as your mic, I'd say just search online for comparable equipment because you'd likely find more info and choices (since you're not getting much response here yet anyway)
As far as what recording to start with, you will definitely need to submit the required one-minute test first for feedback. You should have received an email by now with several links on how to start. As far as what to record, I personally think you would be most successful at recording what you're interested in. It would take time to read, listen back, edit and master, so you may as well spend that time on genres that you enjoy.
As far as your own book, I'd say just go for it after some practice and feedback.

I hope that all makes sense and helps you.

Best of luck to ya!
~Karen
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

What Karen said. :thumbs:

In addition...

Look for the best USB microphone you can afford. That will last you some time, at least while you gain experience. However, don't spend your entire budget on the microphone. Make sure you have some dough left over to organize and sound-treat your recording space. The best mic will not save you if your "studio" or "booth" is (a) not isolated from any noisy environment and (b) has inordinate amount of reverberation due to too much rigid flat surfaces from which the sound can bounce before it reaches your mic. Read up on creating sound absorbing panels, they will help you more than just a better mic.

When folks just start here, shorter pieces are recommended - easier to handle. Join a group project, like a poetry collection or a book of stories. Look around. Maybe you like acting? We have dramatic readings, plays. The Weekly Poetry project is ongoing, you don't even need to sign up, just record, upload, post.

Welcome, and good to have you! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please