hello.

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Tals3344

Post by Tals3344 » November 27th, 2019, 9:56 pm

hey everyone.
My Name is Natalija and I am new to the librivox community.
I have few questions.
Firstly, do you have to be over a certain age to volunteer for librivox? and secondly, if you are asked to read a part of a book, will the specefied part of that book be sent to you? or do you have to have the book in your personal library?
If somebody could let me know, that would be great.

lorda

Post by lorda » November 28th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Hello Natalija,

welcome to LibriVox.
Firstly, do you have to be over a certain age to volunteer for librivox?
There is no age limit here.
if you are asked to read a part of a book, will the specefied part of that book be sent to you? or do you have to have the book in your personal library?
You can choose books or sections to read by yourself. If you like a piece, you can log in to the corresponding thread and claim a section - more details are described in the initial post of the thread.

For books, the first post has a link to the text on the Internet.

It is also possible to create your own projects or to participate in collections with your own contributions. For this purpose, a generally accepted text source from the Internet should be specified (best with a scan of the book). These can be found, for example, at https://archive.org/ or https://gutenberg.org. It is important that the selected books are in the public domain (for US law - published before 1923) and are also free of copyright in my own country (for me, in Germany this means: author and/or translator must be dead for at least 70 years).

I hope I could help you a little bit further.

Greetings from Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany.
Bernd

Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)

reader page of lorda

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » November 28th, 2019, 11:51 pm

Welcome aboard :D. Do have a look at your welcome email - it has been carefully created to help people get started as painlessly as possible.
We do ask everyone to do the 1-minute test before recording anything - it's not an audition, it's more a soundcheck. We need certain settings right to make publishing possible - tweaking a sample is easy, tweaking your first full recording often leaves you with an unsatisfying result.

Our only age restriction is that younger readers have to have parental permission.

Anne