Greetings from the back of beyond

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Greetings!
I drive an 18 wheeler 9 hours a day, spending most of that time listening to audiobooks. Having become tired of the monotonous stories afforded by the public library I searched for some books online. What I found was "Anne of Green Gables" and "Tom Sawyer", both a very delightful change. Also, both by LibriVox.

Upon learning that these were made available by volunteers, my interest was immediately peaked. One of my hobbies is the mixing, editing and general manipulation of audio files. I've mixed several multi-track songs using a Yamaha Keyboard. My best work also includes vocals. In short, I love working with audio files. I also operate the sound system at my church.

I spend most of my waking hours driving, so I wouldn't have time to do any serious reading. But I can DPL while I'm working! I'm sure I would also enjoy pitching in here however else I can!
I am but a quill in the hand of the author of fate.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome! Good to have you here! I'm pretty sure we've had other OTR truckers tell us that they're listening, too. :)

The only issue I can think of with prooflistening (PL'ing) while driving is that you'd need to figure out the time stamp of any errors. That might be hard to do while driving?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Not really. The display on my stereo shows the track and time. It's easy enough to make a quick recorded note. I actually caught a repeat on the The Swiss Family Robinson (Version 2) and noted it, even though this recording was cataloged in August of 2009. It's in Chapter 8 from 33:50 to 34:10.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet soon.

jc
I am but a quill in the hand of the author of fate.
ryfink

Post by ryfink »

Hi,

I like your signature quote! Where is it from?

Thanks,
Ryan
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." - G.K. Chesterton