Equipment question

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

I've been dithering around for months about jumping in. The problem is the equipment. I was told I need a mike, and the Samson Qu2 ( I think I've got that right; I'm doing that by memory) was recommended. Places like Amazon have a million different sellers of this stuff. So, one question. Do I need the headphones or not?
My name is Mark
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Headphones are highly recommended. The "regular" computer desktop or the built-in laptop speakers are inadequate as far as reproduction of the range is concerned, not to mention that the recorded ambient noise (at playback time) is drowned by the existing ambient noise, unless you're in a very quiet studio, which for the vast majority of LVers is not the case, so we use headphones to listen to our own recordings or when we PL. You can (and I, for one, used to) get away with earbuds instead of headphones, but circumaurial headphones are by far better. Earbuds still beat most of the desktop speakers, though.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
SoundsSharpe

Post by SoundsSharpe »

Welcome,

I borrowed some items from a friend to get started, and decided I liked recording audio books enough to buy my own. I bought a Samson Meteor Microphone and a pair of Sony MDR-7506 Professional headphones. They were each about $100. I have been really pleased with both. There are other options out there though, so look around and get what suits you.

Sarah
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

7A2c3Ml wrote: May 19th, 2019, 5:24 am I've been dithering around for months about jumping in. The problem is the equipment. I was told I need a mike, and the Samson Qu2 ( I think I've got that right; I'm doing that by memory) was recommended. Places like Amazon have a million different sellers of this stuff. So, one question. Do I need the headphones or not?
A microphone definitely helps, yes :lol:

I'd highly recommend at least earbuds, they don't need to be expensive (infact I had some for about 5 € and they worked fine). If you have a recent smartphone, the ones that came with it should be good enough to tip your toes in the water. You can still buy more expensive headphones later on, when you find that you like reading and want to keep on doing it.
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

7A2c3Ml wrote: May 19th, 2019, 5:24 am I've been dithering around for months about jumping in. The problem is the equipment. I was told I need a mike, and the Samson Qu2 ( I think I've got that right; I'm doing that by memory) was recommended. Places like Amazon have a million different sellers of this stuff. So, one question. Do I need the headphones or not?
Hey! I understand the confusion :D

So i've spend a few years around audio however I am not a expert. However this is my 2 cents.

For getting started with librivox i recommend this mic https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Snowball-Condenser-Microphone-Cardioid/dp/B014PYGTUQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Blue+Snowball&qid=1559232376&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1 it retails at about 40$. This is what i got started with and it's SUPER easy to setup!

For headphone I do not recomend earbuds. I find that they are hard to here everything. a 10$ pair of headphones should do the trick https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HPM1000-BEHRINGER/dp/B00062PN6I/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=Studio+Headphones&qid=1559232497&s=gateway&sr=8-17

As far as softwere goes get started with audacity. I have moved on but it's perfect for lv and is very user friendly https://www.audacityteam.org/

Anyway. That what I would start with. Easy to get started with and will cost about a total of 50$. You will sound great and (hopefully) have a ton of fun.

Hope to see you around the form!
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

cowguy02 wrote: May 30th, 2019, 9:10 am For headphone I do not recomend earbuds. I find that they are hard to here everything.
So I guess it just has to be tried out. For me it is just the other way round - if it aren't really good (and expensive :roll: ) headphones, I am better off with earbuds. I am thinking of in-ears, like those:
https://www.thomann.de/de/audio_technica_ath_anc33is.htm (only cheaper, available on the usual stores for electronic stuff).
doshepherd

Post by doshepherd »

I have a question on headphones as well ... locally to me there are several ads going for used GAMING headphones - not being tech savvy, can anyone advise me if gaming headphones are possible for a beginner? The prices for new headphones are a bit daunting, so I was looking at 2nd hand items.

Thanks! doshepherd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

doshepherd wrote: August 21st, 2019, 5:26 pm I have a question on headphones as well ... locally to me there are several ads going for used GAMING headphones - not being tech savvy, can anyone advise me if gaming headphones are possible for a beginner? The prices for new headphones are a bit daunting, so I was looking at 2nd hand items.

Thanks! doshepherd
I don't use headphones at all. I do use earbuds sometimes, but not usually.

So yeah - gaming headphones would be fine, if you want headphones. ;)

Better to NOT use a gaming mic/headphone set, though. They're not good quality microphones. It's better to just get a mic rather than a mic/headphone combo.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
doshepherd

Post by doshepherd »

Thanks so much TriciaG for your kind reply - I so admire your work! It's interesting that you don't use any headphones, but they seem to be recommended. At least I can start on the budget side and not worry about it if things don't work out. Cheers!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

doshepherd,

I think headphones are recommended to those who are at the beginning of their LV career. Once you know all the aspects of your "studio" and nail down your technique, you can certainly edit with monitors (desktop speakers). Your editing space needs to be reasonably quiet for you to clearly hear hums, clicks, pops, and other unwanted elements. You don't really need headphones for that, but in most cases they do help (by isolating you from the ambient noise and keeping your audio from leaking out).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please