Rosedg

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Rosedg

Post by Rosedg »

Hi everyone

I am Rose (record under the name of Sougen)

I did two of my favourites poems
Daffodils by William Wordsworth (daffodils2)
and
Amsterdam by A.D. Keet (liggies6)
and uploaded them today.

All the procedures very new to me, but I am here to learn.

Since I am new to Librivox, I would appreciate kind .... please note, very kind and constructive and encouraging ... messages

Kind regards to you all
Rose
growlands

Post by growlands »

Hi, Rose,

Welcome from another new member. I'm sure you'll do wonderfully. It's such an exciting adventure, isn't it? :)

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi" and "good luck" with all your projects.

Gareth (growlands)
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Hi Rose, welcome to LibriVox! I also posted in your one minute test post, we're gonna need the links to these uploaded poems. More details are in the other post :D . And don't worry, nearly everybody here are exceptionally friendly and helpful!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Rosedg

Post by Rosedg »

Hi lymiewithpurpose
and growlands

Thank you for your friendly and encouraging messages.

Here we go again. The system is vevy different to what I am used to on Mac usually. But I uploaded my two examples now to tests -tests as there is no MC as such for these. My microphone appears ot make some noise so I am intending to get some new stuff in the next two weeks (I've already ordered that from the computer shop). So my apologies for the background on the recording. Will be fixed and then I will re-record it. And at that stage I will make a better recording of the "test" too.

The files are
liggies6_with_librivox.mp3
and
daffodils2_with_librivox.mp3

at https://librivox.org/uploader

Hope this is going to be great fun once I get the hang of it all. And a great day to you.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Thank you for providing the file names! I did some searching and I found them! Next time when you post links, would you mind posting the link provided when uploading? For example, https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/liggies6_with_librivox.mp3, would be one of these links. It's fine now since I found it, but it is a lot of extra work for some BCs :D.

Anyways, you read beautifully! I love the smoothness of your voice, very pretty! Unfortunately, there are a few settings to get figured out first. If we get these figured out, once your new equipment arrives it should be nice and easy to figure out! What editing software are you using? If it is Audacity I can give you instructions on how to work with these settings. If not, I can refer you to somewhere to get help. Here are the settings that need to be changed:

We need the bit rate to be at 128 kbps, it is now at 160.

We require mono sound, yours is in stereo.

We require a volume of 86-92 dbs, 89 being preferred, and yours is at 84.3.

And lastly, that pesky background noise which you mentioned. I played around with it and found a way to remove it from your recording. I know that you are getting new equipment which should hopefully help, but if you want to know how to work with these ones I can give you information on that.

Overall, don't worry too much about these. These are simple settings that can be easily changed. What's important (not that settings aren't, they are), is that you have a lovely voice that will serve you well when you can record :D. If you get these settings figured out without instructions, go ahead and re upload with the same file names, post in this thread (maybe practice posting the links :P) and I'll come take another look!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them