Advice and Help

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
elliot

Post by elliot »

Greetings all. I joined LibriVox three years ago and did a few "trial" poetry recordings but then got busy with other things and became inactive. I would like to resume my LibriVox activities. I am still definitely a newbie. It is great to see that there are still a lot of information for the new members on the forum.

I am a retired airline pilot and also a ham radio operator. I enjoy all things audio and have recently began doing some Drone work. I attended the local community college for a year after retiring and took a course on radio, audio and voice over. My goal is to do some commercial work.

Even if that does not occur I enjoy what little recording I have done. However, I need a LOT of practice. Poetry reading was out of my comfort zone but I think it was helpful. I was planning on beginning there. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
elliot
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Welcome back!

Yes, poetry is a good way to get back into the thick of it. One, they are usually short. Two, you can use Weekly poem (although it's just one per week) where you don't even need to claim any sections, just read, record, clean up, upload and post the link and duration.

If you don't want to read what's prepared, and instead would like to read something of your choosing, you can always take part in a collection. The downside is that you need to find the text yourself, but it's usually not that difficult: you have the whole Gutenberg site to peruse.

Whatever your approach ends us being, the main thing is to have fun doing it, and of course, ask any questions, we are here to help!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Honestly, if poetry isn't your cup of tea, I wouldn't suggest doing it. While it's short, I find poetry to be one of the harder things to read well.

There are a ton of prose group projects - nonfiction, fiction - with shorter sections, if you're looking for short things to work on. I'd say, pick a project whose topic looks interesting to you and dig into that.

It's your choice, in the long run. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart