Hello from Diane

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
dimabs22

Post by dimabs22 »

Hi my name is Diane and I am a huge fan of this site. When I was homeschooling my son from junior high through high school, we often listened to books and other works from Librivox to supplement his learning. Today we will often listen together if we find a book we both agree on.

My hobbies include writing, playing the Sims in all its forms, baking, bird watching, and nature. I'm a huge Anglophile and love British History and watch a lot of PBS/Masterpiece Theatre and other BBC programs. I have a Masters in Education and a BA in English and just love languages.

I'm excited to be a part of this community but finding it hard to get started. I'm actually looking for recommendations for a microphone I can order (not too pricey) so I can begin recording. My ear bud mic just doesn't seem strong enough.

Thanks so much to all the volunteers who do recordings. I can't wait to "give back" to Librivox after providing us with many hours of free educational materials.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hello and welcome to LibriVox :)
There are threads in the Need Help? section about microphones where you can ask around. You can also listen to this project: https://librivox.org/microphone-showdown-3-by-various/ which showcases recordings done with various setups. You may find something interesting there. (EDIT: YOu may also be interested in the conversations in the project thread itself: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=58691&hilit=microphone+showdown)
Once you've bought a mike, it's time to record the 1-minute test. To read how, click on the instruction link in your welcome email. As soon as the test is OKed, you can go forth and record.

Have fun :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome aboard,
People do record using built-in microphones or phones and get satisfactory results if you have something you could use while you decided if LV was for you could try using it for the 1-minute test and get an opinion. If it's OK then you could do a few readings and then decide what you needed for a microphone.

Anne
dimabs22

Post by dimabs22 »

Thanks for the tips!