A fun retirement project!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
blueskies

Post by blueskies »

Hi to all of you beautiful voices! I'm Elizabeth, living in Maine, and delighted to be part of this wonderful community as a recently retired software engineer. One of the best parts of retirement is having unlimited time to read. I believe in the power of voice, so LibriVox is probably the perfect retirement project. Although I grew up primarily in New England, as a kid I lived on both coasts, and so don't have a specific NE accent. In fact, many people have said I sound like I'm from the midwest, an area in which I've never lived, which baffles me.

I also read for the Human Voicebank. I'm taking time to read and learn on this forum and wiki, and listen to some of the catalog before starting my first project. My setup is a Blue Snowball iCE on macOS using either GarageBand or Audacity. See you in the threads.
Elizabeth
Also a Project Gutenberg Distributed Proofreader
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Good approach. You could do the "1 minute test" in case your setup needs tweaking (it is not an audition) and then if something comes up you'd love to read for, you could jump in, If you've not done recording and editing before I'd suggest something short first up.
As to accents - it is my theory that the only person in the world who doesn't have an accent is me. and everyone else has one. And it's great. :D

Anne