Let's do this!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
noisydaddy

Post by noisydaddy »

Boy, it is great that a wonderful service like Librivox exists! And I am just tickled for the opportunity to be part of it!

As part of my current job, I recently narrated an interactive on-line medical training for my customer. Even with the medical jargon and names like, "serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors", the feedback was very positive, and several people suggested I should look into doing voice work as a hobby. Back in my youth I competed in public speaking, once winning the mid-atlantic Collegiate Forensic Association completion in oral interpretation, so at one point I had the vocal chops for narration and interpretation. In the years since I taught school, managed a professional dance company, and spent 30 years in IT. Since I am also looking at retiring in the coming year or so, I thought resurrecting my old skills in oral interpretations and narration might prove interesting. My research yielded a blog post that recommended LibreVox as great service and a great place to get acquainted with the whole narration process. So - TA DA - here I am. A converted closet will serve as a recording booth, Audacity is loaded and ready, and I'm eager to get started!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Wow - you've got much more experience than the vast majority of the folks here! Good to have you. :)

I see you passed the 1-minute test with flying colors. Next step is to find a group project you'd be interesting in joining (feel free to join any of the ones in my signature - ha ha!) to get the feel for how things are done around here. After that, if you want to start a solo project, you're welcome to do so. (As a soloist, you're in charge of updating your own Magic Window, which is one reason we like people to get their feet wet in group projects first.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hey, Welcome!

I got my start by doing some work for Recording for the Blind, way back when. I think it was philosophy. We sometimes to some old public domain medical books which are sometimes quite hilarious. Since I worked in the medical field, I kind of love the jargon. My favorites are Wilson's Disease - hepatolenticular degeneration. or good ole SLE systemic lupus erythematosis. They both have a certain poetic quality, I think.

Don't do dance, but I did quite a bit of theater in college as well as forensic speech, mostly oratory and oral interp.

Lots of good projects to choose from to get your feet wet.
The water is fine, so jump on in!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Welcome! :-)
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)