Hello from Tasmania

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
samtasman

Post by samtasman »

Hi Everyone,

I'm Sam and I'm an aspiring narrator. I've joined up here to get some feedback on my work and to find out if anyone actually likes my voice :) . Also thought it would be fun to do a little collaborative work on the forum if the right opportunity comes up.

I am a native English speaker. My casual speaking voice is British Australian, but can speak with any accent needed. I lived and worked in Japan for several years and am fluent in Japanese to Beginning N2 level. I also speak a (very) little Romanian, French and Spanish.

I just posted my 1-minute test in the Listeners and Editors wanted thread, hope its up to scratch.

Thank you for your time.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hello Sam,

Welcome to LibriVox! We're so happy to have you. :clap: Yes, there are lots of things to do here like Dramatic Reading, or reading a chapter or more with other readers, or reading a whole book on your own (which it'll be a solo project).

I'm also trying to learn Japanese. Currently, I speak 2 languages Arabic (native speaker) and English (second language).

Good job doing the one-minute test. Another LVer will listen to it. I'm not good with proof-listening yet. And I don't want to confuse you. What I can tell you now is that you have a clear voice. And I can't wait to hear your first recording.

The first thing I participated in was a weekly poem. It gets catalogued quickly. So, it's a great start if you would like to do it.

Another thing that we use a lot is a Checker Program. It checks all the tech specs of the recording and most importantly the volume.

Another useful tool we use is called Replay Gain (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity). It was recommended to me by Sonia (Kitty) and Devorah Allen (mightyfelix).

Here's a wiki with all the Instructional Videos (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos) that you'll need. How to download Checker and so on. Sorry, I forgot how. And the reason I knew about Replay Gain is that Devorah has shown me how yesterday.

We're a friendly community so feel free to ask questions. Someone is sure to help you. :thumbs:
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
samtasman

Post by samtasman »

Hello Sara,

Thank you, I'm glad to be here. I would very much like to try my hand at all of those things you've mentioned eventually.

That's great to hear someone else is learning Japanese (^.^)b . It's easy enough to speak when you get the hang of the basics, but reading and writing Kanji is always more challenging the higher you go (for me anyway). How do you like it?

You clearly speak and write English well, I wouldn't have known it was your second language if you hadn't said. You're from Egypt? Cool.

Thank you for the positive feedback! I have been getting over hay fever recently and wasn't sure if my voice was completely normal again yet. Will probably get a bit better from now, but at least it doesn't sound awful.
About the 1-min test, I saw on the Wiki that you should post something about it on a public thread or else no one will know you've done it, so I posted here. Is that enough?

When you say poems get catalogued quickly, do you mean they go up quickly on the sight to be available for download? That would be good.
When someone's reading goes up on the sight and/or gets downloaded, do they get any kind of notification? I am keen to know whether my voice and narration ability is truly any good.

Thanks for the links too, I will check those out. And thanks again for the warm welcome.

Best Wishes,
Sam
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hello Samtasman :)
Weekly Poetry is called that way because it's open for submissions for a week and then gets catalogued. So yeah, the recordings are available for download really quickly. It's literally the fastest-going project here :)
You don't get notified unless someone writes a thank-you note through a feature available on the site and sends it. In such a case it gets posted in a special thread and you receive a PM.
As for the 1-minute test, once you've recorded it, you should upload, copy the link you receive from the uploader feature and post the link in Listeners Wanted area of the forum. (EDIT: I can see that's exactly what you've done :) . Good. Now you just wait for feedback.)

Piotrek
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
samtasman

Post by samtasman »

Cheshch Piotrek,

That's the only word I know in Polish :lol: .

Is the public domain poetry for that thread chosen by the moderators and then members can say they want to try reading it? Is it a 'first in best dressed' system or can more than one user try their hand at a reading and then the moderators choose which one to upload?

I'm most interested in doing solo projects, whole book readings. I love classic literature and the way people wrote back then.

Interesting, so if someone writes a thank-you note and it goes to a special area, is that a public thread or can you only see it if the message is for you?

Good to know, I will be patient and wait then.

Thanks for the info.

Best Wishes,
Sam
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hello Sara,

Thank you, I'm glad to be here. I would very much like to try my hand at all of those things you've mentioned eventually.
Hello Sam,

You're most welcome. It's really fun especially the Dramatic Reading. I've tried all except the solo project.
That's great to hear someone else is learning Japanese (^.^)b . It's easy enough to speak when you get the hang of the basics, but reading and writing Kanji is always more challenging the higher you go (for me anyway). How do you like it?
You're absolutely right. I sometimes have a hard time with the Hiragana (-_-;). But I won't give up. :thumbs:
You clearly speak and write English well, I wouldn't have known it was your second language if you hadn't said. You're from Egypt? Cool.
Thanks! Yeah.
About the 1-min test, I saw on the Wiki that you should post something about it on a public thread or else no one will know you've done it, so I posted here. Is that enough?
You've done it perfectly. Like Piotrek81 said, you have to copy the link and paste to the project. For example, you recorded the weekly poem. you upload the recording then you copy the link and paste it as a reply to the weekly poem thread. Please remember to always include the track length.
Is the public domain poetry for that thread chosen by the moderators and then members can say they want to try reading it? Is it a 'first in best dressed' system or can more than one user try their hand at a reading and then the moderators choose which one to upload?
I don't know how the poem is chosen. But If you like the weekly poem and want to record it. You just record and submit your recording. And they don't pick one reader. The poem will be read by up to 20 readers.

Please note: it's different in other projects. First, you have to claim a section and once they add your name to the Magic Window you can record it.

Here's the link to the Weekly and Fortnightly poem (If you like them, make sure to submit your recording before 0600 GMT Sunday, December 16, 2018 (12:00AM CDT))
Weekly: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=72819
Fortnightly: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=72716
Interesting, so if someone writes a thank-you note and it goes to a special area, is that a public thread or can you only see it if the message is for you?
I know it's a public thread. But I'm not familiar with the process of the 'thank-you' note. Actually, I haven't received one yet. :lol: But some listeners will leave a comment/review in the Internet Archive Page. For example (https://archive.org/details/pollyanna-1_pc_librivox).

Happy Recording!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

samtasman wrote: December 14th, 2018, 7:44 pm Cheshch Piotrek,
Cześć Sam :)

As Sara said, with most projects, you first look at the thread's first post to see what's available and then post in the thread. Collections work differently as you can just bring the recorded section to the table without claiming first. First come, first served.

Having a solo in mind to record is fine, but we strongly encourage people start with group projects contributions, so that you learn the processes involved first. Also, a solo is a considerable time commitment, so a group project contribution is an easy way to figure out if you're comfortable with that.

As for thank-you notes, you get a PM with a link to the forum post. I imagine solo readers get much more of those :) Plus you're going to record in English, which helps. In 7 years of recording in Polish, I've only received one. You may always ask your proof-listener for some constructive criticism.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
samtasman

Post by samtasman »

@Piotrek

Czesc :thumbs: ,

Alright, I might try my hand at a poem first to get the hang of the process. I have been working on a solo project for a while though (before I joined up here) and would really like to know what people think. It's Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. Have 3 chapters done atm.

How would I go about uploading it if I wanted to get some feedback? Just start a new thread in the Solo projects section?

@SaraHale

Hi Sara,

Hiragana and Katakana are difficult for everyone when they first start. Have you tried the method of making them into your own pictograms? For example: け kinda looks like a beer Ke-g standing on its end :) .

Thank you for your help and advice. Will keep an eye out for your work too.

Best,
Sam
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

samtasman wrote: December 16th, 2018, 10:15 pm @SaraHale

Hi Sara,

Hiragana and Katakana are difficult for everyone when they first start. Have you tried the method of making them into your own pictograms? For example: け kinda looks like a beer Ke-g standing on its end :) .

Thank you for your help and advice. Will keep an eye out for your work too.

Best,
Sam
Got it! :thumbs: I'm sure I'll find lots of examples on YouTube. ありがとう!

You're welcome. Thanks! I wish you all the best recording Pride and Prejudice
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Do the Pride and Prejudice files match the LibrVox tech specifications? If so, I guess you could post them as the beginning of the solo after recording LV intro and outro (to be found in the first post of any project). Still, contributing at least one section to an existing group project would be good so you can figure out the processes here.
samtasman

Post by samtasman »

They don't have the intro and outro yet (btw has the script been updated? I have heard an old one, but is it always the same?).

Other than that, they match the specs. When I record the intro and outro for each chapter, then I can put it on the Solo Projects thread? Or does someone need to listen first? I mean do I need to send it to an LV moderator MC?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No . The 1 minute test is the only thing that is listened to that way.
First step in a Solo is to set up a template and post it in the launch pad (instructions sticky in launch pad)
Once an MC picks it up and makes you an MW and checks what the specifications you and the template have come up,
Then you can make the intro and outro and name the file and upload it. No one will check things it until you think/hope that file is ready to catalogue . Then it will be proof listened.

As you have already read a number of chapters, I would strongly suggest you prepare 1 chapter and wait till you hear the PL report before going on - then you will know the housekeeping bits are OK

Anne
And do tell us in the exactly what text you are reading from please
samtasman

Post by samtasman »

Hello Anne,

Alright, I will start working on the first chapter (was listening to it again and I want to change a character voice).

Thanks for letting me know how to get started.

Cheers,
Sam