Excited to be here!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
kravfighter

Post by kravfighter »

Hi everyone! I'm Beth from Michigan and I'm excited to have found this website! I've been using the "Stumble Upon!" program with the Firefox browser I just downloaded and "stumbled upon" this site! I have only seen the computer generated voice recordings and I hated those - they sound horrible.
I'm an avid reader and love listening to books as well! I've never done any formal reading out loud, but when I was in school I was always told I was an excellent oral reader and being selected to do readings for our church masses (I went to a Catholic school), so I think I could do just fine!
I looked up what kind of equipment I might need and read about the Logitech headset for Sony Playstation. It turns out my husband has the Navy Socom game for playstation (it comes with the headset) and I believe these are the version that have been described (they say logitech on the side). I plugged them in and they work great!
So now I'm just looking around the site to get familiar and such and then I will find something I like and give it a try! I look forward to listening to the books as well!

Beth
kayray

Post by kayray »

Welcome Beth! For your first reading, you might try our little Weekly Poem, or maybe a chapter of Black Beauty -- nice and short, and you can make sure your setup is working well before you tackle something larger.

In any case, make yourself at home, and have fun!

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Welcome Beth from another Michigander... there is at least one other roaming around here too.

We're glad you're here... have fun! =)

~ Betsie
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kravfighter

Post by kravfighter »

Thanks kayray - something short to begin with was just what I planned until I get more proficient at what I'm doing!

I'm a little far from you thistlechick! I'm from just outside of Detroit! I visited the UP once about 5 or 6 years bac, though, and loved it! I saw someone from Troy, MI on here, but can't remember who it was or where I saw their username at -lol!
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Hi Beth and welcome! I use the Logitech headset and I *love* it! Sounds like you'll be a great reader. The weekly poem is a great way to test out your system and this week's takes less than a minute to record. Also, if you enjoy listening, Betsie is working on implementing a proof-listening system that you may be interested in. Glad to have you here, jump right in!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
vee

Post by vee »

Hi Beth. Welcome aboard. Looks like you're well on your way.

BTW does your alias mean you study krav maga?
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
kravfighter

Post by kravfighter »

Yes - that's where the kravfighter comes from. I used to study Krav Maga actively. I haven't for about a year now due to being a newlywed (married in October 2004) and not being able to devote the time I needed to it. I studied it for about 3 years prior to that and am an orange belt about 3/4 of the way to green.
I still take cardio/kick-boxing classes at the martial arts studio, though, to at least keep up on basic punching and kicking. I really miss it though. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back to it though since we plan on starting a family soon.

Beth
GordMackenzie

Post by GordMackenzie »

Hey, Beth... I would be the other "Michigander" hereabouts. I list Detroit ('cause I figure people know where that is!), but I'm in Troy.

Welcome aboard!
Gord Mackenzie
gord[dot]mackenzie[at]gmail.com
Librivox Wiki Page: [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/GordMackenzie]GordMackenzie[/url]
kravfighter

Post by kravfighter »

Hi Gord.

I knew I saw Troy somewhere - lol! I live in Livonia so I guess we're practically neighbors!