Hello, Matt here. Does anyone PL while driving?

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
mrpalermo

Post by mrpalermo »

Hello everyone. My name is Matt and I've been listening to some LibriVox recordings this year while driving (tractors). I was wondering if anyone has any experience proof listening while doing some other task such as driving? There is no way I could write notes but I could definitely press a button every time I heard a mistake to record the time. I use an Android device to listen to recordings.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Not that I'm aware of. :) I suppose one could have some sort of function to register the time stamp of a PL note, then go back later and refresh your memory as to what the note was supposed to be. I have no idea if there is such an app or function on an MP3 player.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

I have tried PL ing my own work before uploading, while cooking or driving or lying in bed at night, and found it impossible to do. When an error is found you have to immediately stop the tape, note the time, and what the error is. Plus, you have to be sure to follow the exact Intro and Outro text, which varies project to project and should be read off the page every time. Not only that, but next day when I go back and properly PL following along with the text, I find plenty of wrong words, sometimes missed phrases, and once a whole paragraph that I would not have noticed otherwise.

I think it would be a great disservice to our readers not to give their reading the "one-time-only" full attention it deserves. Each file we catalog will be out there in the world for, we hope, a very long time.

The PL'er's function is very important, I think, requiring much more focus than that of a casual listener simply enjoying a book, and our readers rely on the PL'ers backup support.