New here, wanting to know if it would work....

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
KevinISlaughter

Post by KevinISlaughter »

My name is Kevin I. Slaughter. I run a research/archival project and am beginning the process of recording an audiobook intended for the public domain. I have been an infrequent user as a listener, and entirely new as a contributor. I have some questions about if and how I can put the project on Librivox, but possibly also release it as a podcast as it's being recorded.

The plan I have is that the work would be recorded (solo, by myself) in segments twice a month and released as a podcast for feedback and enjoyment. The recordings would then later be stitched together for a proper audiobook format. Now obviously these same steps would have to be done for librivox, but the "audience" for the "in progress work" are the volunteers.

I'm new to librivox and I'm wondering if that is something that can be done (i.e. would it violate some terms of use to podcast the in-progress recordings) and exactly how to go about setting it up here so that the work benefits both the amazing production structure you have and the platform once it is finished.

Also, importantly it is a book that already exists on Librivox. I haven't searched to see if that disqualifies the project already. The book is "The Ego and His Own" by Max Stirner.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

We don't want people publicly posting our uploader links to in-progress projects for a couple reasons: (1) it adds to the server traffic unnecessarily, and (2) the links are only temporary and will not remain the same after cataloging the project.

You could upload the file on another site concurrent with or before uploading it to ours, if you wanted. But that end of it would have very little to do with us.

Regarding "stitching it together" for us - in general, we do one file per chapter unless the chapters are really short or really long. (We limit files to 72 minutes, so that they can fit on an audio CD if someone wants to burn them to CD.) Taking a quick peek at the version in the catalog, you'll probably want to divide up several of the chapters in a similar way.

Our tech requirements are the following:
MP3
128 kbps constant bit rate
Mono
44100 Hz sample rate
volume between 86-92 dB as measured by MP3Gain (approx. -18 to -16 LUFS)

We do recommend doing the 1-minute test, just to make sure the tech settings are OK. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

After that, since it sounds like you are familiar with recording and editing, you could probably jump straight into your project, unless you wanted to get your feet wet first by doing a section or two in a group project. :) The thread, "Want to start a solo recording?" in the Launch Pad has the info you need to set up a solo project: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Also, importantly it is a book that already exists on Librivox. I haven't searched to see if that disqualifies the project already. The book is "The Ego and His Own" by Max Stirner.
We do accept second readings of books, if that is what you are asking.
One thing that may disqualify it is what you are reading from, the translation you use must be PD for us to accept it, so I'd suggest you gave us details of the text you read from before "stitching it together" for LV use. According to the catalogued version, it's about 18 hours of reading, when it comes to LV time it might be an idea to look how the reader split the long chapters and discuss it with your MC before working on it

Anne
KevinISlaughter

TriciaG wrote: November 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm We don't want people publicly posting our uploader links to in-progress projects for a couple reasons...
You could upload the file on another site concurrent with or before uploading it to ours, if you wanted.
I'm sorry that this was not clear: I would be uploading them to my own servers as part of my own podcast. I would not be linking to "in-process" recordings at librivox in any way.
The concern was that the librivox community may have "rules" against releasing "in-progress" works to the public like I planned, outside of the librivox system. It may sound odd, but I want to be respectful of this established community and how it operates.
TriciaG wrote: November 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm Regarding ... you'll probably want to divide up several of the chapters in a similar way.
Our tech requirements are the following: ...
We do recommend doing the 1-minute test...
Thanks, I will do this. Also thanks for the additional link to solo project tips.
Last edited by KevinISlaughter on November 12th, 2018, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinISlaughter

annise wrote: November 12th, 2018, 1:43 pm We do accept second readings of books, if that is what you are asking.
That was part of the concern, but also that I would be uploading a file to both librivox and to my podcast at the same time, so as they're being screened and critiqued here (hopefully), they're also available for my podcast listeners. Any "fixes" that need to be made to the "in progress" files won't be in the podcast, but only in the final version that make it to the librivox catalog, for example.
annise wrote: November 12th, 2018, 1:43 pm One thing that may disqualify it is what you are reading from, the translation you use must be PD for us to accept it, ... Anne
Anne, the translation I'm using is well in the public domain, being completed in 1907. I thank you for the response and the information, it looks like any further discussion should be in a forum thread in the solo project. Now to read a few things to help me set that up and get the project underway!
Last edited by KevinISlaughter on November 12th, 2018, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The concern was that the librivox community may have "rules" against releasing "in-progress" works to the public like I planned, outside of the librivox system. It may sound odd, but I want to be respectful of this established community and how it operates.
We have no such rule. Heck - we release the recordings into the public domain for anyone to do anything with - I don't see why we'd restrict their release before they're cataloged. :)

Although... I suppose if you have the Librivox intro/outro on the self-released versions, people could come to our site looking for the rest of the project, only to find it still in process. :hmm: But I'd think that that risk would be minimal.
KevinISlaughter

I did a very quick test recording this morning, and uploaded the raw file as is requested. I didn't do much warm up, but I at least edited my flub out....

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kevinislaughter.mp3
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds good! A light noise removal, and you'll be good to go. :)