Hello all! (and some assistance needed?)

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
andintheendtherewere

Post by andintheendtherewere »

Hi, I'm new, and would love to read and record some stuff. Librivox is such a great idea, and so well done. From what I gather from the FAQ, you claim your recording on the forum, then send it to a listener, (how? via email?) then they're the ones who guide it through a review process and post it.

My questions are:
1. What are the technichal requirements of a recording file, and content? Like, is there a max noise level, are there other criteria?

2. What's the minimum set-up/equipment I need? Right now I've got my phone mic, and not really any sound studio, but I can try to find a quiet place if necessary. Is that enough?

3. What if you want to record something that's already been recorded, like a poem, for example? Is this the wrong place for that? How many versions of the same piece can there be?

4. For dramatic works, is it a collaborative process between the readers, or does each one record their part separately and then an editor splices them together? Or does it depend?

5. Is there a specific software that works well with the needs of librivox? Is there one that everybody uses?

6. Also, I'm obviously new and this is my forst post, so before it's too late, I'd like to change my username. Is this possible?

Thanks so much! I'm so excited to get started.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Welcome at LibriVox :)

It seems that you didn't find the wiki (link see also above, "Guides for Listeners and Volunteers" ;) ) yet, so here are some answers :)
andintheendtherewere wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 amthen send it to a listener, (how? via email?) then they're the ones who guide it through a review process and post it.
Almost right. You post the link after you have uploaded your recording; how to is described in every first post of a project. Then the recording is proof listened to and if it's fine, it will be marked ok. If all files for a project are in, than the MC will do some magic and the audiobook will appear on archive/in the catalog.
andintheendtherewere wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am 1. What are the technichal requirements of a recording file, and content? Like, is there a max noise level, are there other criteria?
Yes, there are:
  • Channel: Mono
  • Sample rate: 44100 Hz
  • Sample format: 16 bit
  • Export format: MP3
  • Export bitrate: 128 kbps
  • Volume: 89 dB within a range of 86 to 92 dB
andintheendtherewere wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am 2. What's the minimum set-up/equipment I need? Right now I've got my phone mic, and not really any sound studio, but I can try to find a quiet place if necessary. Is that enough?
That should do it if it's a recent smartphone, although a good hardware safes some work.
andintheendtherewere wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am 3. What if you want to record something that's already been recorded, like a poem, for example? Is this the wrong place for that? How many versions of the same piece can there be?
That's fine, we like the choice of voice here. I personally prefer to do stuff that isn't already recorded but there are I think a least five versions of Tom Sawyer, for example.
andintheendtherewere wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am 4. For dramatic works, is it a collaborative process between the readers, or does each one record their part separately and then an editor splices them together? Or does it depend?
Every reader provides his/her part and that there is the poor soul who has to get them together :)
andintheendtherewere wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am 5. Is there a specific software that works well with the needs of librivox? Is there one that everybody uses?
There are different programmes used to record. The most spread is Audacity, as far as I see; then there is Reaper, Ardour, GarageBand, Twisted Wave, ... I think there is a wiki page about that, too :)
andintheendtherewere wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am 6. Also, I'm obviously new and this is my forst post, so before it's too late, I'd like to change my username. Is this possible?
There is a difference between the username for the forum and the one for the catalog. As this was your first post and you haven't even done the 1-minute-test, you don't have a reader's name for the catalog yet. You can still choose one here that fits your taste better :)

It might be possible to change the forum name, too, I don't know (I am not an admin :) ).
andintheendtherewere

Post by andintheendtherewere »

Hi Monika!

Thanks for replying! There's a lot of stuff on the wiki and it seemed hard to navigate -_-; but thanks for answering anyway. I'm glad that a phone mic is okay, and I figured most of the action happens on the forum.

I wouldn't want to re-record an entire book, lol, just a couple of short works I really like. Good to know about the name, although I'm still unclear about the process. But yeah, heading over to the one minute test thing!
Last edited by andintheendtherewere on November 3rd, 2018, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome to LibriVox
The best way to start is to read your welcome email, saves you having to hunt around. If you've lost it, then using the links above should work. Just take it step by step.
Do the 1 minute test and submit it. Then you will get feedback about it the technical requirements and your equipment.

Anne