Greetings from Washington State - USA

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Tatoosh

Post by Tatoosh »

Hello everyone! I am a retired older guy, currently living in the Northwest. Actually, the northwestern corner of the Northwest, up by the Canadian border. I hope to develop some voice over skills and I thought that reading short stories and such here would be a good way to begin. I am on a budget and have a couple of challenges, the first is that I have COPD and that means I am on oxygen all the time. So my recordings may well be a bit airy. I'm still waiting for my microphone to arrive so until I can try it out, I won't know. And I'm worried that the oxygen flow may insert itself into the sound file. Again, time will tell.

I will be using a USB microphone, but I hope to use Reaper for sound engineering instead of Audacity. I've seen a few "how to's" on Reaper for DAW and it looks like a very handy program that I can do what is necessry here and other stuff with as needed. Is anyone else using Reaper out there? Yes, it's $60 for personal use but I will be using the evaluation version for the first couple of months. Since it is often used by professional Voice Over artists, I want to get familiar with it from the start.

I only speak English, though I do have a little college French, and I lived for roughly 10 years in the Philippines so I speak a few words of Tagalog and Bisayan. My hobbies are food so I'm quite the rotund sort of fellow, history, and occasional mystery stories, particularly historical ones. I watch a chunk of anime (both subs and dubs), and a fair amount of Asian historical dramas (with subtitles).

I look forward to trying things here and meeting fellow story tellers and voice artists.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Welcome Tatoosh!

Good to have you here!

Yes, Reaper is very well suited for this work. I bought my personal license, and happy to report no regrets. It's powerful.

So, get on with it!... :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please