Hi from a newbie :-) Eager to read and proof-listen in Russian

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Amieluna

Post by Amieluna »

Hello dear friends and volunteers! :D

I’ve discovered this great project today now that I have started learning Spanish - big THANKS to whoever decided to put this all together at some stage! It is a diamond magic storehouse of information! :-)

As some great people out there are helping me learn Spanish, I thought that my native Russian might help somebody learn tricky Russian language too. So I am eager to read and listen to the already recorded audios :-) I read somewhere on the forum that the amount of Russian books is very few for now - will be very happy to contribute to change this.

My name is Maria, I am originally from Moscow but have lived abroad for 5 years now (in the UK at the moment).

Glad to meet you all and very excited for the upcoming projects!

thank you.
Maria
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Welcome, Maria!

Great to have you here. :thumbs:

Yes, you probably read my sentiment that the number of Russian works in our catalog is rather small; that was my reason for signing up. Let's change it! There is only a handful of us native Russian speakers here, so every new voice (and ear) can make quite a difference.

And since you're leaning Spanish, and already speak English, you can contribute in those languages as well, which is wonderful! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Amieluna

Post by Amieluna »

Thank you very much for your warm welcome :-))
Could you please clarify one question (sorry in advance if that was asked many times already!). I checked the website archive.org which is suggested to find those books which are no longer under copyright and saw that there are quite a few of the existing audios in Russian there. Are these two different websites? (because information is not merged in one place). I am just wondering whether I need to check first whether the audio for the book exists there already or it doesnt really matter?
Just trying to understand how it works :-)
Thank you in advance!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Our audio files are kept on Archive, they are in a very particular collection, "LibriVox". There are other recordings - Archive allows people to upload their own stuff.

If you want to record a book for Archive (instead of LibriVox), you're free to do that, and you don't need LibriVox for that. If you want to record for/with LibriVox, you don't need to verify that the book has not been recorded yet - we welcome multiple versions.

How to record for, and submit to Archive independently from LibriVox, I don't know, there is probably some hint somewhere on Archive's site. :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Amieluna

Post by Amieluna »

Great, thank you - sounds clear now. I was just a bit confused of how and where particular information is stored :lol:
I will be very happy to contribute to LibriVox indeed :-)
Will be sorting microphone out soon and thinking of a book proposal to the Book Suggestions forum :thumbs: