Hello!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Gleeble

Post by Gleeble »

Hi there Librivoxers!

My name is Adam from MD in the US and I'm hoping to be able to form a new hobby doing some reading here. I've been looking at the different things and I figure I'll try to cut my teeth on some of the Poetry / Short works as I've seen recommended. I hope I'll be able to do these classic writings some justice.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hi Adam,

Welcome to LibriVox. :clap: We're happy to have you.

LibriVox is an addicting hobby. :mrgreen: It's great that you want to start with Poetry. I did the same thing when I first joined. Well, we have a weekly and fortnightly poem. You can find them under 'Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)'.

I would like to share a lot of useful links with you. I hope you don't mind.

1. If you want to know your way into the forums. Here's a video by Phil Chenevert.

2. We use Checker to make sure that our technical features are good to go before we upload the file for proof listening. The second step is to record and then upload your one-minute test. Please check the following links:
Using the Checker
How To Make Your 1 Minute Test
How To Upload Your 1 Minute Test

After that, you will be ready to record. :thumbs:

The following links are optional.
3. Making your reading sound Great
4. If you have a problem (I hope you won't), you can check this link
5. Before you Press Record: Tips and Tricks: Part 1 and Part 2

I hope these links are helpful to you. And if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :thumbs:

Happy Recording! :D
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Gleeble

Post by Gleeble »

Thanks a lot for the additional information! When I get a chance I will be sure to go through that. Been busy to start but I did previously do a 1 minute test, but seeing some of those links you've got there I might hold off till I can read a bit more.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey, Adam!

You're very welcome. :9: I'm always happy to help.

Sorry to be nosey but I see you've posted two posts only. And, I can't find your one-minute test. Have you uploaded the test?

Well, when you upload the test on LV uploader. You copy the link and post it in Listeners & Editors Wanted otherwise no one will know its existence.

Post the test and "Please include the recording software (Audacity, Garage Band), operating system (Windows or Mac) and mic type (USB or Analog) you are using in the post as this will help [the listener] giving advice that is tailored to your problem."

When you get the OK you can start your recording journey.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. :thumbs: I look forward to listening to your voice.
Gleeble

Post by Gleeble »

No, I haven't gotten to it yet as it's been a very busy week (and I'll admit I'm a bit nervous to start this). I was just hopping on to look some more at the info you posted and to try and get that accomplished.
Gleeble

Post by Gleeble »

Actually, just took the time to get this done. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71918&p=1509752#p1509752
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey, Adam.

Please, don't let the links that I shared spoil the fun. You are doing amazing. I listened to your recording and I liked it. You have a clear and pleasant voice. :D

Moniaqua has checked the recording as well. Once you get the [OK] in your subject line, you'll be good to go. :thumbs:

Have you found an interesting project? When I first started I did one of the weekly poems then I recorded one line in a Dramatic Reading project.

I hope to meet you again in one of the future projects. Have a great weekend!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

SaraHale wrote: September 29th, 2018, 3:09 am Once you get the [OK] in your subject line, you'll be good to go
Actually he is already good to go ;) No need to wait for the OK in the subject, it will come :)
SaraHale wrote: September 29th, 2018, 3:09 am Dramatic Reading project.
Good point! :thumbs:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

moniaqua wrote: September 29th, 2018, 3:27 amActually he is already good to go ;) No need to wait for the OK in the subject, it will come :)
Awesome.
Good point! :thumbs:
Thanks!
Gleeble

Post by Gleeble »

SaraHale wrote: September 29th, 2018, 3:09 am Have you found an interesting project? When I first started I did one of the weekly poems then I recorded one line in a Dramatic Reading project.
Thanks for the kind words! As for initial projects, I had been looking at one of the children's story ones before but I'll have to go back and see if the one I saw was still available. I'll also be sure to check our the dramatic reading project, I hadn't seen that one yet so that would be interesting.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Gleeble wrote: September 29th, 2018, 10:45 am I'll also be sure to check our the dramatic reading project, I hadn't seen that one yet so that would be interesting
Good! :thumbs:
As starter point: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69214 those are one-acts, so the roles aren't to big for the beginning.

Then we have with roles still open:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=71427&start=90
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=70268&start=120
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56293&start=1080

And I think a couple more, just look in the drama section. :)
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Gleeble wrote: September 29th, 2018, 10:45 am Thanks for the kind words! As for initial projects, I had been looking at one of the children's story ones before but I'll have to go back and see if the one I saw was still available. I'll also be sure to check our the dramatic reading project, I hadn't seen that one yet so that would be interesting.
You're very welcome. :D Monika has recommended interesting projects for you. Will it be okay to recommend more? :mrgreen:

A Dramatic Reading: Section 33, The sale of the philosophers (second century A.D.) by Lucian in The World's Story Volume IV

A children story: The Story of John Wesley Told to Boys and Girls