Hello Everyone

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

I'm interested in doing voice recordings, and found LibriVox touted over and over as a wonderful way to learn and practice the skills needed. So here I am. My equipment isn't up to snuff yet so I'm going to start out as a PL, maybe a DPL in a bit. So far I've been lending an ear to projects that are without or between DPLs while I get familiar with the process. Hope to work with some of you in the future.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Terry and a warm welcome (albeit a bit late ;) )

I see you have made good on your resolution and are helping out a lot with PLing already in many projects :thumbs: we're always happy to have new PLers. And once your recording gear has arrived, a good thing is to start with a one-minute test yourself. By then you will have listened to many sections already and read about the technical stuff we require, so I am guessing you will pass with flying colours. :mrgreen:

Have fun on the forum !

Sonia
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

Kitty wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 11:49 am Hi Terry and a warm welcome (albeit a bit late ;) )

I see you have made good on your resolution and are helping out a lot with PLing already in many projects :thumbs: we're always happy to have new PLers. And once your recording gear has arrived, a good thing is to start with a one-minute test yourself. By then you will have listened to many sections already and read about the technical stuff we require, so I am guessing you will pass with flying colours. :mrgreen:

Have fun on the forum !

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia. It will be a while on the equipment as I'm trying for good mid-range pieces that will last a while and perform well. I do plan to the one-minute test, but even then I'll probably record a number of things for myself as practice first. I am PLing a lot, and DPLing on a few projects as well. It doesn't take as much time as I thought it would since I'm sticking to smaller projects and filling in here and there. I'm enjoying it and it's a lot of fun.

Thanks for the welcome,
T.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

terrybenn wrote: August 24th, 2018, 4:09 amI am PLing a lot, and DPLing on a few projects as well. It doesn't take as much time as I thought it would since I'm sticking to smaller projects and filling in here and there. I'm enjoying it and it's a lot of fun.
:thumbs: wonderful to have you help out here :) And I'm happy you're having fun as well. Yes, smaller projects are always best to start out with as it's so rewarding when you see one of "your" projects reach the archiving stage :9:

Sonia
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

Kitty wrote: August 24th, 2018, 4:14 am it's so rewarding when you see one of "your" projects reach the archiving stage :9:

Sonia
I'm about to find that out I think. I've done a lot of PLing on one project, just volunteered to DPL so I did a recap for everyone. 4 pieces have PL notes to address, 2 yet to come in and then it's off to editing. :clap: It's exciting and everyone is so easy to work with. I love when everyone is focused on getting the job done and to the best of their ability. We can learn so much from each other; I know I can.

If you ever need someone to drop by and catch up a bit of PL for you, let me know. I'm always willing to help out, and am being careful not to overload myself with commitments so I have that extra time to spare.

T.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

terrybenn wrote: August 24th, 2018, 4:24 amIt's exciting and everyone is so easy to work with. I love when everyone is focused on getting the job done and to the best of their ability. We can learn so much from each other; I know I can.
great attitude. Just a suggestion, and while it is not absolutely required, many DPLers also check the technical side of recordings to make life easier on the BC and MC.

We have a great tool to check the tech specs, in case you want to "do it all".
You can download the Checker here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

When you run the mp3 file through the checker, it tells you PASS or FAIL and mentions if the volume is too loud or if the recording is in Stereo instead of Mono or if the Bitrate is wrong. All those things that you usually don't hear while simply listening.
If you ever need someone to drop by and catch up a bit of PL for you, let me know. I'm always willing to help out, and am being careful not to overload myself with commitments so I have that extra time to spare.
thank you, so far I manage, but I'll keep you in mind :)

Sonia
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

Kitty wrote: August 24th, 2018, 4:34 am
We have a great tool to check the tech specs, in case you want to "do it all".
You can download the Checker here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

When you run the mp3 file through the checker, it tells you PASS or FAIL and mentions if the volume is too loud or if the recording is in Stereo instead of Mono or if the Bitrate is wrong. All those things that you usually don't hear while simply listening.

Sonia
I downloaded and installed Checker just yesterday. I still need to figure out how to run the file through it though. I'm on the hunt for a tutorial or notes to that effect, so if you have an idea where to look, I'd love to know. So far I haven't managed to get the file to do anything more than open in another window. So much to learn on my road to world domination! :twisted: :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

terrybenn wrote: August 24th, 2018, 4:41 am I downloaded and installed Checker just yesterday. I still need to figure out how to run the file through it though. I'm on the hunt for a tutorial or notes to that effect, so if you have an idea where to look, I'd love to know. So far I haven't managed to get the file to do anything more than open in another window. So much to learn on my road to world domination! :twisted: :lol:
:lol:

ah ok, you simply open the file from the MW ? Ok, for the checker you need to download the mp3 to your computer (with right-click / save file as), then you can open it in Checker.

File / Check Files / click on the downloaded file

and that's it. Or you can even drag and drop the file into the checker, but I never do it like that.

Sonia
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

Kitty wrote: August 24th, 2018, 4:45 am
ah ok, you simply open the file from the MW ? Ok, for the checker you need to download the mp3 to your computer (with right-click / save file as), then you can open it in Checker.

File / Check Files / click on the downloaded file

and that's it. Or you can even drag and drop the file into the checker, but I never do it like that.

Sonia
Thanks so much. I'll get to practicing on some I've already done and see what happens. :thumbs: I appreciate the help.

Let me ask you something. Abandoned projects. Is there any way to tell how they were set up originally? Multi-part, solo, DR, etc?

Just looking ahead to the next step which seems to be BC. Something that's part way finished wouldn't seem to be as big as project as something new, though I could be wrong about that.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

terrybenn wrote: August 24th, 2018, 4:55 amLet me ask you something. Abandoned projects. Is there any way to tell how they were set up originally? Multi-part, solo, DR, etc?
in most of the cases (if not all) it is an abandoned Solo. Readers who didn't have the time to finish the task, or lost interest along the way. This usually doesn't happen with group projects, since they tend to stay around until they are finished, so it's mostly solos.

If you are interested in finishing one, you can make a note in that thread and ask for it to get pulled out of the archive, so you can have a look at it if it's what you had in mind. If you don't like it after all, there is no shame in handing it back again. Nobody is forced to do anything they don't like.
Just looking ahead to the next step which seems to be BC. Something that's part way finished wouldn't seem to be as big as project as something new, though I could be wrong about that.
well it depends on the project. I would say, a short project with short sections is always a good way to start. Maybe a poetry collection or a short story collection. Something like that. Especially poetry often gets finished quickly, so that would be a bonus too. While long novels tend to be around longer. But it all depends. Some big project finish fast while smaller ones languish. You can never know how the interest will be ;)

I would not recommend starting with DR though, it's a bit of a trickier business.

Sonia
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

Kitty wrote: August 24th, 2018, 5:04 am

in most of the cases (if not all) it is an abandoned Solo. Readers who didn't have the time to finish the task, or lost interest along the way. This usually doesn't happen with group projects, since they tend to stay around until they are finished, so it's mostly solos.

If you are interested in finishing one, you can make a note in that thread and ask for it to get pulled out of the archive, so you can have a look at it if it's what you had in mind. If you don't like it after all, there is no shame in handing it back again. Nobody is forced to do anything they don't like.
Guess I'll leave that idea for a while then. Not ready to start recording as of yet, though I'll keep it in mind as a good first step to a full solo project.

well it depends on the project. I would say, a short project with short sections is always a good way to start. Maybe a poetry collection or a short story collection. Something like that. Especially poetry often gets finished quickly, so that would be a bonus too. While long novels tend to be around longer. But it all depends. Some big project finish fast while smaller ones languish. You can never know how the interest will be ;)
I'll keep my eye out. I may run across someone that needs a BC for such a project, or find something I'm interested in myself. There's time. I just like to have the next goal in site. Keeps me moving forward.
I would not recommend starting with DR though, it's a bit of a trickier business.
Yes, I caught that while trolling the threads, though I did a bit of PL on one. It was enough to know I need a lot of growth and learning to tackle one, if ever. I've done a bit of directing in the past, and can only imagine it would be tenfold harder in this setting. Not something I have the time or inclination to tackle at this time, if ever.

As I said, just looking ahead a bit. I figure I'll need to know it all eventually, even the editing aspects, if I want to record professionally.