Finding my feet...

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
FifiFalconette

Post by FifiFalconette » July 22nd, 2018, 9:56 pm

Greetings and salutations, honoured members one and all!

Not only am I new to LibriVox, but this is my first time joining any forum, so I'm glad to see that none of you are the biting sort... :wink:

I'm particularly interested in reading, and will get my One Minute Test done next time I fire up the microphone, then set about choosing a short work or open group project.

The BIG question I have is, can I find anyone here willing to stand as my 'assessor' for my Duke of Edinburgh's Award? See, though I've been interested in reading for some years, it's the Community Service aspect of the Duke of Ed that has finally forced me to actually take action. The catch is, that means I need someone willing to sign me off in another eight or nine months, basically to verify, "Yes, she did actively and regularly contribute to LibriVox." It's all done online, so you just need to have a computer and internet access from somewhere in the world :)

Looking forward to getting involved! Thanks, folks!

Fifi out.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 22nd, 2018, 11:06 pm

Welcome to LibriVox
Couple of questions about the award

Does the award depend on us being a charity ?
Do you need to do a particular number of hours?

Anne

msfry

Post by msfry » July 23rd, 2018, 7:43 am

So, various entities are willing to give out awards for reading for Librivox? Sort of like earning girl scout patches? Or the way the Astronomy League awards pins for so many hours of amateur observation of the heavens? That is really cool. Citizen science. Citizen preservation of literature as audio. That is an awesome way for people to be attracted to volunteer for good and important stuff. I hope we can help. Using the Reader detail page, it shouldn't be too hard for any reader to prove their hours of service. I don't think "hours" are compiled in any one list, but all projects you contributed to are listed.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Knowing that a tomato is actually a fruit is Knowledge. Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad."

FifiFalconette

Post by FifiFalconette » July 23rd, 2018, 4:55 pm

Ooh, thanks for the replies, guys!

Sounds like you haven't had many Duke of Ed-ers on here before! The DoE Award is very broad and self-directed, yet structured in such a way that it represents significant personal achievement by the time it is completed.

The Service component (for which I intend to count LibriVox) is very open, and the Award office has already approved my intent to volunteer by reading audio books. No, this does not depend on LibriVox being a charity; yes, if a few veteran LibriVox people familiarised themselves with the (simple) process of being an Assessor for DoE volunteers and you found a way to get the word out, you may well attract some strongly motivated, diligent young volunteers!

In my case, I need to average an hour a week of service (with activity no less frequent than every four weeks) for more than six months (it's a year total, but I've already clocked some other volunteering and I'm not sure exactly what I have left). However, I'm not limited to counting Finished Hours... and being a fairly serious amateur actress and storyteller, I'm planning to spend proper preparation time on my reading, too. How to count that in a way an Assessor would be willing to acknowledge is open to discussion.

By the bye, although it's the Award that finally got me here, I'm here because I've wanted to for years! I needed a catalyst, but don't assume I'm going to vanish at the end and never be heard from again ;) I'm quite willing to get 'hooked'!

msfry

Post by msfry » July 23rd, 2018, 5:33 pm

Very interesting! Getting hooked on stuff, especially the good stuff with no downside, is a great way to matriculate through life! I highly recommend it. :thumbs:
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Knowing that a tomato is actually a fruit is Knowledge. Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad."