Hello all!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
rafeball

Post by rafeball »

Hello everyone - just a quick post to introduce myself! I came across LibriVox the other day whilst looking for an audio version of Mary Elizabeth Braddon's "At Crighton Abbey". I was very impressed by the Librivox initiative, and was keen to get involved! I'm looking forward to adding some more weird short fiction to your catalogue! I'm based in Surrey in the UK, and have my eyes (or rather, ears?) set on recording some of E.F. Benson's tales that aren't in your catalog yet.

I'm also a big fan of the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast (who cover a lot more authors than Lovecraft now), and they've covered a number of public domain stories that I think would be great additions to the catalog. I also did a fair amount of academic research on vampire literature whilst studying at Royal Holloway, University of London many years ago (I somehow managed to get away with writing my Bachelors and Masters theses on vampire literature, and did a few years of postgrad research in the area), so I might 'take a bite' out of some of those tales too 😉

Now I just have to wait for Amazon to drop off the new mic and headphones I've treated myself to so that I can record my 1-minute test!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Rafe ! glad to have you joining us. I see your one-minute test is already approved, so the initial hurdle is taken. From now on it will only get easier. :mrgreen:
I'm also a big fan of the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast (who cover a lot more authors than Lovecraft now), and they've covered a number of public domain stories that I think would be great additions to the catalog. I also did a fair amount of academic research on vampire literature whilst studying at Royal Holloway, University of London many years ago (I somehow managed to get away with writing my Bachelors and Masters theses on vampire literature, and did a few years of postgrad research in the area), so I might 'take a bite' out of some of those tales too 😉
this sounds very interesting. I myself did Gothic novels as subject at university, so I've had my share of vampire lore there too :lol: Can you provide a link to the Lovecraft literary podcast ? I might have a peep in there.

Lovecraft of course is quite a tricky business concerning his PDness for LibriVox. Most of his work is still copyrighted, so those few that are PD are already recorded. But you can always record a new version if you like. We have "choice of voice" here at LV and don't mind a new take on any of the books we have in the catalogue. :)

Have fun on board !

Sonia
rafeball

Post by rafeball »

Thanks Sonia! Jo was a great help in getting my recording set-up and noise reduction right - thanks again Jo :-)

The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast is at www.hppodcraft.com, the first one hundred and something episodes (which includes all the Lovecraft stories) are free, and well worth a listen, it’s a great mix of insight and humour.

I have a couple of evenings coming up that I have earmarked for recording some E.F. Benson for the Short Ghost and Horror story collection :-)
Last edited by rafeball on July 5th, 2018, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thanks for the link, will check it out ! :)

Sonia