Introductions are in order.

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
MarieSueStraw

Post by MarieSueStraw » June 21st, 2018, 1:42 am

Hello, I'm Jean-Marie.

I am a life science teacher and part time researcher. When I'm not in a high school class room, I do some traveling overseas and do research. I also give the occasional talk about... fungi. Not a terribly interesting topic for a lot of people.

A friend of mine pointed out this site and what it does. And after seeing it for myself, I started binging on a lot of the 1930s pulp sci-fi. Since you look for volunteer readers for public domain stories, I ran to my shelf and got all my old Fredrik Pohl books. Then I did a search of the site and saw that everyone has already narrated them all!

Still, been having a blast. Maybe I'll submit a one-minute test, soon, though one I'm one of those interminably shy people who hates their own voice when played back on media.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 21st, 2018, 2:42 am

Hello Jean-Marie welcome to the forum :)

if you are a sci-fi fan, I believe there is a lot out there that is not yet recorded. The problem is often finding material that's in the public domain. :hmm:

As for "hating your own voice" I suspect we all had those initial inhibitions. The recorded voice does sound strange in the beginning, but you'll get used to it. For me it helped a lot that I joined the theatre group on here. There I was able to play someone else than myself and it made it easier to overcome my initial fears. It gets better and better with each recording.

The way to start is the one-minute test for your technical settings. You can post your test here: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will have a listen soon.

Just dare ! See it as an adventure and plunge in head-first :thumbs:

Sonia

MarieSueStraw

Post by MarieSueStraw » June 21st, 2018, 6:15 am

I really appreciate the welcome! Gives me a bit more confidence.

I've been playing with Audacity all day. It took me quite some time to get my computer to behave and get the levels required by the site. Here goes nothing.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 21st, 2018, 6:25 am

MarieSueStraw wrote:
June 21st, 2018, 6:15 am
I've been playing with Audacity all day. It took me quite some time to get my computer to behave and get the levels required by the site. Here goes nothing.
that's the spirit :thumbs: remember to upload your test and post it over in Listeners Wanted !

And don't worry about inital sound problems, once you get the hang of Audacity it will be very easy. It's an easy program to handle.

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 21st, 2018, 9:47 am

I see you already passed the test ;) see it wasn't that difficult. :mrgreen:

Have fun with your first project ! Maybe I hear you one day in a project where I am prooflistener.

Sonia