Greetings from Serbia

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
PistolPoet

Post by PistolPoet »

Hello!

My name is Đurđija in Serbian or Georgia to normal people :) . I love reading out loud - to myself, mostly - so I can't believe it took me this long to realise my silly habit could actually be of some use to someone else. Anyway, glad to be here!
"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
msfry

Post by msfry »

Pardon my ignorance, Đurđija, but where is Serbian? So you read aloud to yourself? Hmmm. Well I guess that's what we do when we record, except I feel like I'm reading to other people. Since I don't really enjoy making small-talk, I think I get my talking fix by reading what I think are important and/or clever thoughts expressed by talented authors. It's very satisfying. I hope you find it so as well.
PistolPoet

Post by PistolPoet »

Oh that's ok, Serbia is a tiny country, nobody knows about it :D . It's in southeast Europe, and it used to be a part of Yugoslavia, which was a bit better known.
Since I don't really enjoy making small-talk, I think I get my talking fix by reading what I think are important and/or clever thoughts expressed by talented authors.
That's very well put :) . I don't like small talk either, I'd much rather skip ahead straight to more meaningful conversations.
"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
ClaudiaSterngucker

Post by ClaudiaSterngucker »

Welcome to LibriVox, Đurđija! :clap:

Interesting to hear you writing about small talk, as I've been thinking of it for quite some time, too. Just like you, I didn't appreciate it at all...but then, I happened to realise that it's not so 'small' at all. As silly as it may sound, but simply talking about the weather can open people's hearts, as it's not so much the words that count, but the vibes one conveys along with them. It can create a sense of closeness and understanding...and even comfort sometimes; and it can make you perceptive to another person's mood and needs...and it can lead to unexpectedly deep conversations and surprising topics... :mrgreen:
Claudia

"Aus Druckerschwärze entstehen Dinge, Menschen, Geister und Götter, die man sonst nicht sehen könnte." Erich Kästner
PistolPoet

Post by PistolPoet »

Thank you!
That's also an interesting point. Come to think of it, the ability to 'convert' small talk into a meaningful conversation could very well be one of the essential qualities of a successful adult... something I'm still struggling to become at 31 :D .
The main problem with small talk is how cliché it can be. For example, in my country, it's sort of understood that one must always complain about the weather :) . I love a good rain, and winter is my favourite season, but if I ever say either of those things when making small talk, people usually think I'm a bit of a weirdo :P .
ClaudiaSterngucker

Post by ClaudiaSterngucker »

Yes, I think I know what you mean, since I love rainy weather and winter, too, and I'm familiar with the 'complaining about the weather'-lark! I always try to put this in positive words other people cannot but agree to...something like: "Yes, a grey sky and rain can have a slightly depressing effect on some people, I feel with you. But rain is so good for the nature, the flowers and trees; and the animals in the forest need water to drink, too. And don't you love to listen to the rain in bed at night? It's so soothing and calming... :mrgreen:
Claudia

"Aus Druckerschwärze entstehen Dinge, Menschen, Geister und Götter, die man sonst nicht sehen könnte." Erich Kästner