Introduction. Would love some tips!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Gretchenslibrary

Post by Gretchenslibrary »

Hi everyone. My name is Gretchen and I am pursuing a dream of becoming a professional audio narrator. I am new to the whole process but reading and books are my passion. I would love any tips or suggestions. I am a stay at home mother of two littles so finding a quite place/time to record has been my biggest challenge so far. I would be interested in hearing from other stressed out busy people how they manage to work audio recording into your schedule. Thank you.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello Gretchen,

Welcome!

I am not as busy as one might be with two little children, and besides, I am not a professional narrator... So take whatever I say here with a pinch of salt.

Do your little ones ever sleep? If they do, you probably won't wake them by reading in another room (like a closet). Little ones usually sleep fast, don't they? Well, a walk-in closet is a decent place to record - it's usually inside your house, has no windows, and, naturally has sound absorbing material hanging all around. All you need is some kind of portable setup, a mic stand, a copy holder, and a small desk for either you computer or your portable recorder...

Now, reading, recording, is only a part of being a narrator. In fact, more time is spent editing the recording than making it. About five times more. Some part of the editing process will be spent in your "studio" where you'll re-record some things that need re-recording. Other editing can be done at your desk, even with some intermittent noises around you.

There are several good Youtube channels maintained by professional narrators, give it a look/listen.

Best wishes in your endeavours!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please