Re: Hi

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Whitepanther

Post by Whitepanther »

My name is Paul Hughes and my username for the purposes of Librivox is Whitepanther. I am sixty seven years old and have always enjoyed reading. A couple of years ago, I underwent eye surgery to repair severe cataracts in both eyes. When I had the operations I very much wanted to do something for those who were not as lucky as I was and whose eye disease was incurable. I can’t imagine going through the rest of my life without the joy of reading. Therefore I wanted to volunteer my services for situations that would help the blind or those otherwise unable to read. This seems like the perfect way. Thanks very much for allowing me this opportunity. Any suggestions or helpful hints will be gratefully received!!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Paul, and welcome to LV. :)

your reasons for joining the forum are very laudable and there will be plenty of projects for you to help out here. Just roam around the different subforums and check out what you are interested in. Are you more a poetry-person, or inclined to drama-acting, or rather non-fiction articles ? There are projects for every taste.

Other areas where you can help out as well are for example prooflistening recordings by other readers. And if you are graphic-creatively inspired you can even participate in giving our finished projects these beautiful CD covers images. :9: There is always plenty to do here.

The best thing to start with is doing a one-minute test though. This is to make sure that your technical specifications and set-up are all up to LV standard. Once you have recorded the test, just make a new thread in the Listeners Wanted subforum: viewforum.php?f=21
and include the microphone model and editing program you are using, for more informed feedback. Someone will quickly stop by and give you feedback and possibly valuable advice.

After passing the test, there is nothing to hold you back from recording LOTS. :mrgreen:

Enjoy

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Paul. Totally agree, the retirement years are wonderful for giving back, and doing so makes life-after-career and raising a family, just as rewarding. It is so important to wake up in each morning with a goal and some direction how to reach it. You'll not only help the sight-impaired, but a lot of other people who are so busy they don't have time to sit and read, but can listen to audio books while working, cooking, driving, knitting blankets for the elderly, etc. It's like Modern Library Classics on steroids!

So, just follow your Welcome Letter, give yourself time to peruse around the forums and Wiki's, there are plenty of You-tube tutorials on how to use Audacity, edit files, etc., and you'll be recording shortly. Choose short pieces first til you get the hang of the system. My advice (not LV's) if money isn't an issue....invest in a decent mike (I use a Yeti Blue USB desktop mike, $100). I kick myself every day that I spent my first 2 years with LV using a cheap headset mike that made me sound like I have a clothespin on my nose. I wish someone had said something about it. Then again, I know someone who stands and talks into a built-in laptop mike, which sounds good too, so there are plenty of options.

Hope to see you around the LV playground!