Any help from well-versed and established volunteers, welcome

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
TheBeautyOfWords

Post by TheBeautyOfWords »

I have already loved literature since childhood. Some of my favorite works are classics like Shakespeare, The Romantic poets, Jane Austin...though I realize many of these works may have already been recorded. I would welcome help in knowing how to begin, lists of much-needed books to be recorded, any other help...Thank you. I tend to respond and emote best with more upbeat works, poetry and prose which has a positive spin. I am honored to be among my fellow book and word lovers. Sincerely, David Alan Mors
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Welcome to LibriVox, David!

A few poems by John Kendrick Bangs from "The Cheery Way" is probably the best stuff on which any new volunteer, especially one who likes poetry with a positive spin, could "cut their teeth". Look for those in our "Readers Wanted" forums, especially in the "Short Works" one.

So, look for a project to join, read the first post carefully, ask any question you have, claim a section, record a small poem, which will work as your 1-minute test, and off you go...

Or you could start with our Weekly Poetry, although no guarantee of the positive spin there. :wink:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TheBeautyOfWords

Post by TheBeautyOfWords »

tovarisch wrote: May 20th, 2018, 12:28 pm Welcome to LibriVox, David!

A few poems by John Kendrick Bangs from "The Cheery Way" is probably the best stuff on which any new volunteer, especially one who likes poetry with a positive spin, could "cut their teeth". Look for those in our "Readers Wanted" forums, especially in the "Short Works" one.

So, look for a project to join, read the first post carefully, ask any question you have, claim a section, record a small poem, which will work as your 1-minute test, and off you go...

Or you could start with our Weekly Poetry, although no guarantee of the positive spin there. :wink:
Thankm you, Tovarisch, very kind
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

David,

I see you have a couple conversations going here... The requests for feedback on a 1-minute test are better posted in the "Listeners Wanted"...

Start a new topic there, don't forget to post the link to your MP3 file. Somebody there will give you feedback.

If you want a quickie, I can tell you that your recording is in Stereo, while we need Mono, its bitrate is not constant, and there is too much ambient noise. A more detailed explanation you should be able to obtain if you ask for it in "Listeners Wanted". Check that forum out, see how others do it.

Good luck! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
msfry

Post by msfry »

TheBeautyOfWords wrote: May 20th, 2018, 11:20 am I have already loved literature since childhood. Some of my favorite works are classics like Shakespeare, The Romantic poets, Jane Austin...though I realize many of these works may have already been recorded. I would welcome help in knowing how to begin, lists of much-needed books to be recorded, any other help...Thank you. I tend to respond and emote best with more upbeat works, poetry and prose which has a positive spin. I am honored to be among my fellow book and word lovers. Sincerely, David Alan Mors
What a lovely introduction of yourself, David. And I love your handle, "TheBeautyOfWords". Welcome to the LV playground, where volunteers who don't even know each other collaborate to stitch audiobooks together chapter by chapter and give them to the world. I am sure you'll find plenty of material to read here. And as you peruse the Librivox wiki (menu bar above) and all of our various forums (Board Index in menu above), you'll learn how the system works. Best thing for starters is to locate an Open section in a "Readers Wanted" project (see forums) that appeals to you, ask to claim it and when your request is granted by the Book Coordinator (BC), record, edit, and upload it. Make sure you stay signed into Librivox and you'll receive email notices on each project you've posted to. The First Post in each project tells you exactly what to say for your Intro and Outro, where to upload your files, etc. Pretty soon you'll be right in the thick of things, helping us make our books happen. Of course, go at your own pace, and enjoy yourself!