Excited to join LibriVox

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Sparna

Post by Sparna »

Hello LibriVox community!
LibriVox is an example of what is good about cyber-land and I am thrilled to be joining it.
Recording audio books for the elderly Bengali community, who struggles with reading, has been in my mind for sometime now. So when I came across LibriVox through the audio book for Siddhartha, it was once again confirmed that 'ask and you will be given'. I primarily want to cover Bengali literature.
Upon first glance, I did not come across any content in the Bengali language, so any help on how I can get started will be helpful. The first question that comes to my mind is how do I know what is in public domain and can be recorded without facing legal issues.
Regards,
Suparna.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello, Suparna, welcome to LibriVox!

Some languages have less exposure at LV simply because there aren't enough public domain electronic texts in those languages. The other part of the process is the presence of members who can read and understand those languages. For every book we publish we need at least two people who know the language - one to read the book and the other to proof-listen the recording. And the text itself needs to be accessible to both.

The US copyright law (and we need to use it because that's where the audio files are stored) is such that the text needs to have been published before the year 1923 to be in public domain (unless some special disposition was made by the author or the publisher to relinquish their copyright).

With good perseverance you can find the texts and if they aren't online yet, put them there (provided you don't violate the copyright in the process) and then read away!

Happy to have you with us! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please