Checking in from Buffalo NY here!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Ozeki

Post by Ozeki »

Made this account a while back after a few suggestions that I should do voice recording, and its always something ive had an interest in.

At the moment im just kind of browsing around and figuring everything out. Hoping this will be a fun hobby for me!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, from across the lake!

Take your time, ask questions, and have fun. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Ozeki

Post by Ozeki »

Thanks, will do. I just got a whole new mic set up and Im excited to give it a try!
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Welcome! What is your new mic?
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
Ozeki

Post by Ozeki »

I bought a Blue Yeti. Seemed to be the best option for something not too expensive that is considered to be really good.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ozeki wrote: May 1st, 2018, 5:05 pm I bought a Blue Yeti. Seemed to be the best option for something not too expensive that is considered to be really good.
Hi Ozeki. Yeti Blue, desk version, yes. That's what I use and it's a big improvement over my Logitech headset noise-cancelling mike I started out with. I built a little sound booth for it in a 16"H x 12"w x 10"d cardboard box lined with 5/8" styrefoam (4 layers on the bottom to elevate the mike to my mouth height while sitting at my desk), which sits just to the left of my laptop at a 45 degree angle. I put the toe of a knee high stocking over the head of the mike to handle the plosives, and for the money spent ($0 for the "soundbooth"), I think it does a fantastic job. Welcome to LV, and best of luck in your recording adventure! It's a blast!
Ozeki

Post by Ozeki »

msfry wrote: May 1st, 2018, 5:39 pm
Ozeki wrote: May 1st, 2018, 5:05 pm I bought a Blue Yeti. Seemed to be the best option for something not too expensive that is considered to be really good.
Hi Ozeki. Yeti Blue, desk version, yes. That's what I use and it's a big improvement over my Logitech headset noise-cancelling mike I started out with. I built a little sound booth for it in a 16"H x 12"w x 10"d cardboard box lined with 5/8" styrefoam (4 layers on the bottom to elevate the mike to my mouth height while sitting at my desk), which sits just to the left of my laptop at a 45 degree angle. I put the toe of a knee high stocking over the head of the mike to handle the plosives, and for the money spent ($0 for the "soundbooth"), I think it does a fantastic job. Welcome to LV, and best of luck in your recording adventure! It's a blast!
Those are some great ideas, I may need to take my setup elsewhere in the house as I unfortunately live right next to a busy highway. I also got a pop filter that seems to do the job of handling any plosives and a scissor boom arm that is clamped to my desk which makes adjustment quite easy.

I think i have all of the recording specs figured out besides that my mic is far too quiet according to the standard on the 1-Minute Test page, and there is an annoying high pitched buzz behind everything Ive recorded to test things so far.