Howdy from Tennessee

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
lflegal

Post by lflegal »

Hi everyone!

My name is Loraine, and I'm from Nashville, TN. I'm looking forward to reading all sorts of books (solo and group), though I have a penchant for reading silly children's books (I have an 8-year-old daughter), complete with all types of character voices. However, I've also done some voice over work for commercials, and I just love reading out loud. I'm what my friends call, "Enthusiastic." Haha.

I'm originally from the Philippines, but I moved to the U.S. when I was young, so I have adopted a "Weather Man English" accent with a dash of Southern (specifically southern Mississippi). If pressed, my Filipino accent may come out, but only when I talk with other Filipinos.

My husband has his own podcast, which means I have access to his recording equipment. Once I download Audacity and familiarize myself with the software and setup, I will send in my 1-minute test.

I'm looking forward to contributing to this community. I'm a big fan!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Welcome to Librivox, Loraine!
Now I'm looking forward to listening to you reading children's books! :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Welcome to Librivox. Glad to have you aboard. Okay, Pillipino question. My Grandfather was stationed in the Philippines during WWII and he brought back the story that Philipinos wait for the banana to turn black (and sweet) before eating it? Is that true?
lflegal

Post by lflegal »

Rapunzelina wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 1:02 am Welcome to Librivox, Loraine!
Now I'm looking forward to listening to you reading children's books! :D
Thank you!
lflegal

Post by lflegal »

msfry wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 10:26 am Welcome to Librivox. Glad to have you aboard. Okay, Pillipino question. My Grandfather was stationed in the Philippines during WWII and he brought back the story that Philipinos wait for the banana to turn black (and sweet) before eating it? Is that true?
Hi! Thank you!

He may be referring to the Plantain banana, which has to be super ripe before eating (or really, cooking! Fried plantains are so delicious!). You have to wait until the skin turns black before eating it.

But there are so many different types of bananas growing in the Philippines that it could be another variety that he has encountered.