Howdy

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
brewbles

Post by brewbles »

Hello all. I'm Aaron, born and raised in Louisville, KY, currently living in Maryland. I'm in the US Air Force, and I actually will be hitting my 8 year mark on the 10th. I'm very, very new to voiceover work and am seeking all opportunities to improve. I was directed to this site by a book keeper at my local book shop. Now, as far as voiceover goes, I definitely prefer to do altered voices, accents and silly voices. I grew up with a plethora of cartoons in the early 90's and have always enjoyed hearing all the awesome voices and especially seeing the people who made the voices and their approach to making those voices. I never planned to do audiobooks, at least not anytime soon, but it's still good practice. I mostly plan to proof read and listen to others submitted work because I am a bit analytical and forward. I want to help people provide the absolute best product.

Well that's all about me. I do tend to ramble but if you want to know anything else or have any tips for a beginner please hit me up.

Thanks!

P.S: I'm going to get this out now, what this site provides is amazing. I can't believe I have never heard of it before. I look forward to helping maintain and improve this sites reputation.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, Aaron! I've driven through Louisville. :lol:

I was going to say that with your preference for "silly" voices, some of the dramatic readings might be a good fit. But then I read that you are planning on focusing on listening for now, so never mind. :p

Regarding helping others "provide the best possible product" - part of our culture here is that we don't require professional-quality reading, and that we provide a criticism-free environment. So we have a policy of no unsolicited criticism. (People may ask for constructive criticism, and then it's fine to provide it.) It's a fine line to walk between knowing readers could do better and wanting to provide that information... and not stepping on their toes or discouraging them. :?

So in your listening, when in doubt, perhaps send a private message to the BC (book coordinator) or MC (meta coordinator) to make sure your feedback doesn't cross the line.

Hope this isn't too much of a downer. I hope you enjoy yourself here!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart