Yo from New Yawk

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
JuicetheBaptist

Post by JuicetheBaptist »

+
JMJ

Peace. I'm from New York. I can't remember if I introduced myself here when I first subscribed. I'm (re)introducing myself then. I am trying to find if there is any restriction on recording with intentional background noise. My questions is for other as well as myself. I have lulling voice which even puts my sister to sleep on the phone. I also fall asleep very easily and often need to be in an environment with ambient "noise" in order to read or listen to a reading. All the questions I see viz-a-viz background noise are trying to cancel it. When I start a project, might I work with the intention of keeping it? Park? Traffic? Hotel lobby? Thank you for your attention.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Humm. Interesting question. I've been around for awhile, aiming for a bare hum with no distracting background noises in my recordings other than breathing and maybe an occasional sigh . . . iirritated when I listen and hear a kid playing piano in the background, people talking, machines running, dogs barking, cats purring or birds chirping, readers taking periodic sips of coffee, etc. so I very much look forward to what the admins have to say about this. I'm not trying to discourage, mind you, not at all, just curious how this is handled here at LV. I suppose it all depends on who is listening.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

Hmm. I'd say that intentionally recording background noise into your recordings wouldn't be good. Most listeners wouldn't appreciate it and would find it distracting.

We don't require studio-quality, no background noise at all - we've had people record outdoors before and pick up birds, the ocean, etc., - but as a general rule we aim for minimal background noise.

That said, reading aloud would be different than reading silently or listening to a recording, so perhaps the sleepiness issue wouldn't be as much of an issue for you while recording. :hmm:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine