Hello from Ohio!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
redshark

Post by redshark »

Hi from redshark,
I am really excited to learn more about voice recording. I am a book lover and delight in great audiobook readers. Looking through some of the posting on this new member forum I am impressed with skills people are bringing in as LibriVox volunteers. Its a bit intimidating, but I love to learn and relish a challenge so I have submitted by test and we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Great to have you joining us, redshark! And, it's excellent that you've jumped straight into the One Minute Test, too! It can be a bit fiddly to get everything set up right, but once that's done, you shouldn't need to tinker with it much (unless you want to. ;) ) Our technical settings mean that our storage place (archive.org) will automagically generate lots of different file formats from the single one we send over, which broadens our audience. And speaking as someone who's recorded entire chapters WAY TOO LOUD and too, too quiet, that's very much worth figuring out from the start. Not that things will never go wrong in future, but, at least you have that good starting point.

Don't be intimidated, please! Most new readers have zero audio experience ... I had none whatsoever, and have done okay. ;) Take it steady and you'll be just fine. And all voices are welcome, there's never any issue there. Again, many people don't really get on with the sound of their own voice, but it honestly sounds totally different to listeners. LibriVox started with the 'feel' of friends reading to each other, and that's still a good way to think about it now. There's nothing special or different about any of us, except perhaps our love of sharing books with others (and willingness to put in the time to do that by recording, editing, prooflistening, coordinating projects, making covers and different file formats, promoting LibriVox, etc. etc..)

:9:

Do just ask any questions as they pop up, and have fun here! :mrgreen:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Welcome, redshark, and good luck. LV is a complex web project of stitching audiobooks together from public domain text files, with some experienced and also a host of inexperienced volunteers. There are lots of little nooks and crannies of things to learn, and that takes time, but if you peruse your Welcome Letter, the tutorials on the Librivox wiki, the forums (over time a wealth of information that I'm still reading them little by little) and instructions the BC gives in the First Post of each project you'd like to read for, you'll do fine. There are plenty of people ready to share their experiences and opinions with you. Just ask.