Hello from New England

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
mdecker142

Post by mdecker142 »

Hi, I've just signed up, but have spent a while looking thru the forums, the faqs, the press, the catalog, etc.

I am a potentially retired software engineer (still up for debate), and have been looking for another productive hobby (to go along with my kettlebells, running, and reading). I have been thinking about audio books for over 15 years, ever since my father lost his livelihood due to macular degeneration. He has been voraciously consuming books from commercial sites, and its been a lifesaver for him. While I still have my vision, I'd like to pay it forward (or backward?), and enable more people to have access to audio books.

I am an avid reader of literature, science, philosophy, history, etc. I have no experience in voice work, but I am eager to give it a shot.

I've downloaded audacity, have a usb desktop mic for my mac, and I guess next up is 1 minute test, short poetry, and then looking for a work to contribute to.

I look forward to working with you all.

-- Mike
-- Mike
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Welcome to LibriVox, Mike!

Great to have you here. :thumbs:

As snow gradually covers everything, what else is there to do (after we shovel our driveways) but record some poetry or a science article, right? It's so nice and quiet, feels like one's shut off from the rest of the world... :) A cup of tea next to the mic...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Welcome at LibriVox, Mike :)