Howdy from southern Ohio

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

I'm here to read tons of books for Librivox, and maybe get a paying job for, say, Audible reading aloud books. I may only be 16, but I think that makes it so I can do this for longer than most.

:D :D

John
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

:) Hi John,

welcome at LibriVox. If you read like you write, your books are gonna be great :)
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

Thank you!

Would you recommend that I do different voices for different characters?
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Oh, first I'd recomment the 1-minute-test ;) Believe me, you don't want to re-record a section of about 45 minutes because of some stupid error in the tech specs :)

For your voice I can't give any recommendations yet as I haven't heard it :lol: But usually - if you have fun going to the drama section, and/or read in a book with different voices, do it :)
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

Thank you for the advice @moniqua, I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

Have you ever read/heard of Joseph Altscheler? I'm planning on reading his books for Librivox.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Edmonds wrote: February 7th, 2018, 9:17 am Have you ever read/heard of Joseph Altscheler?
Just two minutes ago, while reading your post ;)

He'll keep you busy, according to the list on wiki :thumbs:
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

What microphone would you recommend? I'm not looking to spend any more than maybe $15 on a mic.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Actually, I don't really know what microphones are on the market right now and what they cost :) There are some recommendations here in the forum; if you use the search in the right upper corner you will find some threads.

There are also two microphone-showdowns on the catalogue, one is a bit older. I have no clue if there is one in your price-range, but at least it might be fun to listen :)

https://librivox.org/microphone-showdown-3-by-various/
https://librivox.org/microphone-showdown-i-wandered-lonely-as-a-cloud-by-william-wordsworth/

Be aware that those are no tests, though.

What I would recommend is to use an USB-microphone if there is an affordable, as those don't use the soundcard of the PC and generally spoken it is easier with them to get a better sound. Of course, you'd have to look at the reviews of the mics you consider.
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

I will look at those forums forthwith, thank you. Would a built-in mic in a computer be all right? I honestly don't feel like buying a mic....
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

The standards of LibriVox are easy - some tech specs [1] because the files are hosted at archive.org and they need the files in a specific format, also to have a consistent volume throughout a book, to make listening smoother. And that the reader can be understood. All other is really nice to have, and there are a lot of readers producing really good stuff; some of them go even professional. But the goal is clear:
To make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet.
I personally prefer a better quality, but then there is that other me that says just try it to see if you like it before you invest. If you want to invest then because you really want it, that's totally fine with me. If you want to use the built-in mic, that is fine, too. Might be some more work though, because we probably have to apply some noise-cleaning in order to make a recording where you can be understood well.

[1]

Code: Select all

Channel: Mono
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Sample format: 16 bit
Export bitrate: 128 kbps 
Volume at 89 dB, within a range of 86 to 91 dB
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Edmonds wrote: February 7th, 2018, 4:59 pm I will look at those forums forthwith, thank you. Would a built-in mic in a computer be all right? I honestly don't feel like buying a mic....
Without hearing what you can produce, we'll not be able to say if your computer mic is good enough or not.

Do you test, upload it to the "Listeners Wanted" part of the forum, and we'll see.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Edmonds wrote: February 7th, 2018, 8:30 am maybe get a paying job for, say, Audible reading aloud books.
I just remembered this part. Probably for this purpose you might want to invest. And a bit more than $15, I fear. :) They have higher standards. But as Availle already said - we'll never know if you don't provide your test.
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

I am planning on finishing the book I'm currently reading, which will complete a series of books, then I will really start on recording. I should be done within this week.