New Reader Frustration

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
destroyourmind

Post by destroyourmind »

I would like to simply upload audio files that I've already created so that others have access to them (Franz Pfieffer's 19th c. translation of the work of Meister Eckhart). I am daunted by what seems to be Librivox's cumbersome introduction process for new users. I'm not interested in becoming a member of a world/community project. I only want to upload hours of valuable content to share with the world.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, most of our procedures are required to make sure the tech settings are OK, and that the reader knows what they're getting into with recording and editing. Apparently you're set with that last part. ;)

Since you've already recorded the work, here are your personalized steps:

(1) Post a link to the e-text you used; or, if it was a physical book, take a picture of the title page and copyright page, stick 'em in a zip file, and upload them to the xx - nonprojects folder.
https://librivox.org/login/uploader
When the file has uploaded, post its link in this thread. This to check that the edition you read from is PD.

(2) Post the shortest file you have in the bunch to the Tests folder (same uploader as above). Post that link over here: viewforum.php?f=21 This is to check the technical settings. Better to upload one file than send 'em all and realize there's a problem then.

(3) When you get the OK on both of these, go to the Launch Pad and set up your project using the template generator, located here: https://librivox.org/add_project and post the resulting code into a new thread in the Launch Pad.

(4) I'd suggest posting in the same project thread that the files are all recorded; your MC (below) may be nice and fill in the Magic Window for you - it's usually the soloist's responsibility, but since this is a one-off thing, they may take pity on you. ;)

(5) An MC will pick up the project and make sure things look OK in your resulting code, then set up your Magic Window. You will then have to enter the intros/outros into your existing audio, plus the 5 seconds of silence at the end (if you haven't already done these) as per the instructions in the code you posted.

(6) Upload your files per the instructions in the first post, and post the resulting URLs and file lengths in the thread for the nice MC to put in the MW for you.

(7) Stick around and make sure there are no edits needed, as given by a proof-listener.

I think that is basically it. There's not much that is different from the normal hoops to jump through, because really, most of our hoops are necessary. ;)

Hope this helps!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
destroyourmind

Post by destroyourmind »

Ahhh, let's forget it ...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm sorry you find this burdensome.

You can always post your audio files at Internet Archive on your own, so the world will have access to them. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Cori

Post by Cori »

Welcome, DYM ... I'm sorry you're finding the process frustrating. I think uploading directly to the Internet Archive would be a good option in that case -- they have a few steps fewer.

For the record (mostly, for other readers curious about the madness behind our steps ;) ), here's the reasoning for each, (though Tricia has explained most already, so I'm really just waffling):

(1) Makes sure that neither you, LibriVox nor archive.org are breaking the law.

(2) Makes sure there are no technical issues (e.g. volume way too low.) Also, following our exact format requirements means archive.org can automagically derive loads of other file formats from our files. This broadens the audience for our recordings still further, and makes the files accessible to people who might not be able to download the original format.

(3) Creates a place to track your work and let other LibriVoxers help.

(4) MCs (who help run projects and catalog files) are nice and helpful people! :D

(5) To make something a LibriVox file, it needs the LibriVox disclaimers.

(6) Sometimes files get truncated during upload, so it's important to sanity-check what you sent vs. what arrived.

(7) Sometimes even the best readers make mistakes during the recording, but our lovely proof-listeners catch them and avoid frustrating the general listening public.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!