Cheers from Tim in Colorado

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Jedanjo

Post by Jedanjo »

My name is Tim (user name Jedanjo) and I am a native of Colorado USA. Apart from sword fighting and gaming, one of my favorite ways to fill my free time is listening to audiobooks.

For many years now I have been an avid audiobook and radio drama listener. Starting with checking out audiobooks from the library to recording them off the radio and even youtube - until they would inevitably be pulled down. Eventually I graduated to audible.com paying there monthly subscription until I found, what I considered to be, an unbelievable deal with Tunein.com where I had unlimited access to their audiobooks for $9.95/month. I was totally content with the content (:P) until tunein.com removed all of its audio content on January 16. Thus, I found myself searching for a new, cost effective, audiobook source, whereby I found audiobooks.com and librivox.

I was very surprised to learn that librivox relies upon volunteers to record its audiobooks. My intrigue has led me to this point. And I am very interested in having the opportunity to sit on the other side of the mic, as it were, and perhaps hone a talent in myself that can benefit others...if only a little bit...as much as I have been entertained by so many others.

As for my experience, I would offer that I have been a lector with my church for about 10 years. I also present at conferences and train groups of engineers within my industry. My voice, I believe is fair. James Earl Jones it is not, but at least it isn't cringe worthy. As a volunteer for librivox, I would like to develop my reading ability and voice talents while performing a good work for the benefit of others.

It is great to be here and I hope to interact with many of you as we explore the world of librivox.

Regards,,
Jedanjo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, Tim!

Hey, I know a Tim in Colorado. You don't happen to be my cousin Dawn's husband, do you? :lol: (OK, dumb joke.)

Glad you found us! As you may have already discovered, you don't have to have a James Earl Jones voice to record with us. ;) When you're just about ready to start recording, be sure to do the 1-minute test. It's not an audition, but a chance to iron out any wrinkles in your technical settings, volume, etc.

Welcome aboard!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Jedanjo

Post by Jedanjo »

TriciaG wrote: January 24th, 2018, 7:16 am Welcome, Tim!

Hey, I know a Tim in Colorado. You don't happen to be my cousin Dawn's husband, do you? :lol: (OK, dumb joke.)
Haaa :lol: My teacher's growing up taught me that, "there are no dumb jokes, only dumb..." Wait, maybe that has to do with questions and students :hmm:

For me, dumb jokes are sometimes the funniest jokes, so bring them on :)

Anyway, thanks for welcoming me aboard. I have managed 3 recordings thus far and am quite enjoying this side of the mic. :)