Hello from America

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
newellfraser

Post by newellfraser »

Hello all at Free Speech,

I have a project that is perhaps a book, non fiction, but publishing is a very difficult task.

I need a technology that will allow the spoken text to be presented with "pages" of printed images, maps, graphs, etc. I have been told this technology does not exist, although I do see written text books sold with accompanying CD's.

The images are all about 100 years old, never seen by anyone alive today. ( some are available on line ) They would have been destroyed about 25 years ago, if I did what the "owners" wanted me to do. I did not. I have researched the images and the backstory of their creation in depth for over two years. Every detail is confirmed by written documentation held in archives around the country.

I come to LivriVox ( and other self-publishing sites)to find ideas on how this might be accomplished. Today, I can go to a web site where I can see graphics, hear audio ( this is where the reading comes into play), browse menus of details, go to an index with blue page numbers that can be pulled up, so what I want is not far away from what we already have available on line today.

Finding what the story was about required that I re-learn the history of this country and the state where i reside. One hundred years ago politicians maneuvered their constituents with fake logic and legal psychology. It is hard to believe, but the false logic used to provide a foundation for one of the largest agencies in America is still in use today.

My specific goal is to make this information available for both the hearing and visually impaired reader. For those without these difficulties, it may used as well.
For the first topics, How do I "read" to someone who is hearing impaired" . Can you speak Braille?
Second, How can you "describe" a photographic image?
Third, can I attach images to these messages?
Glad to meet you all , this could be a great project. I work so I do not get a chance to write every day.
Newell
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

newellfraser wrote: January 19th, 2018, 8:07 am Hello all at Free Speech, My specific goal is to make this information available for both the hearing and visually impaired reader. For those without these difficulties, it may used as well.

Hello, I will try and answer your questions.
For the first topics, How do I "read" to someone who is hearing impaired" . Can you speak Braille?
No, you can not speak braille but you can however read braille with the eyes and simply translate that wording.
Second, How can you "describe" a photographic image?
Both with a vivid imagination as well as exposing every little detail of the photo. Have someone close their eyes and then describe every detail to them about a picture of a black stallion. The stance, the mane, height, eyes etc,etc.
Third, can I attach images to these messages?
If you are talking about attaching these images here in this community, the answer would be no from what I understand, but there are always exceptions. A moderator would have to make that call.
Glad to meet you all , this could be a great project. I work so I do not get a chance to write every day.
Newell
Nice to meet you as well.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

I'm somewhat confused as to what you're trying to do.

M4B files MIGHT be able to play audio and display video at the same time. I know it can show images for different chapters, but I'm not sure about images for, say, a paragraph or two. We here record to MP3. Someone could take the MP3s and make them an M4B, though.

OK, as to what we do: we take public domain books, record them, and release the recordings back into the public domain. We don't record self-published works, so if your work isn't (1) traditionally published, and (2) completely copyright-free, no rights reserved, we cannot do it.*

*There are a few minor exceptions, such as unpublished letters or speeches written by notable people. See the text policy here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies

I hope this makes sense. Holler if you have more questions. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart