Bookwürm

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

Hi there, my name's Klaatu, and I noticed a few books "missing" from the rich and bountiful LibriVox library, so I thought I might try my hand at a book or two.

I'm a US expat currently living in Wellington, New Zealand. I'm a Linux geek, sci fi and fantasy nerd (I even have a podcast about fantasy lore), and a lover of classic pulp (ERB, Lovecraft, Robert E Howard, and so on).

I have a few microphones, and I'm not sure which I should use. I'll do samples on both and upload results on Thursday. Unless this sample is sufficient: http://mixedsignals.ml/cnc/audio/cnc_0x3.ogg (it's rather severely compressed and was recorded right next to my desktop, so I feel it might be a bit noisy).

Cheers, and a huge thank you to all of you volunteers. I think the work you are all doing is amazing.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

Hello and WELCOME to LibriVox!!! Personally, I prefer dynamics for home recording but the choice will be yours. The specks for LibriVox are as follows.

File format mp3.
41,000hrz.
Mono not stereo.
Constant bit rate not variable.
128kbps.
Volume range between a 86dbs to a 92dbs with 89dbs being the target area.

I am a caster as well, if you post a link I would love to listen. I will download your ogg and give it a listen as well. I have a few videos in my signature that will walk you through the process if needed. Again, welcome to LibriVox. :thumbs: :wink:

EDIT: Use the same setup as you used for the ogg file above. Your voice as well as audio quality is FANTASTIC!! :9:
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Hi Klaatu,

welcome here at LibriVox. I was curious, I saw Klaatu and the "ü" and thought, you are some European neighbour from the Netherlands :lol:

Your sample sounds great! :clap: Maybe you make it even three book, or so? ;)

For the test, just in case you haven't seen it yet - sorry, no ogg. I love that file format, too, but for LibriVox we need mp3, at constant bitrate and sorry, no CD-Quality, but "only" 128 kbps. I am sure you can easily convert it; I use soundconverter, that works pretty well for me. Or I export it out of Audacity (LAME required), but I guess you use a different program for recording. Your setup samplerate is different from your 22050, too, we need 44100 Hz (actually, as far as I know this is the usual sample rate for audio files; is there a difference on podcasts?)
klaatu wrote: January 15th, 2018, 11:54 pm so I feel it might be a bit noisy)
There are a ton of people out here who would consider that "noise" as total silence and be happy, if they had only so few of it ... :lol:

I am overly curious - what microphones do you own and which one did you use on that recording? Probably via sound interface? My educated guess is - absolutely no matter which of your microphones you use, both will be fine :) But if you like you can of course upload recordings with both.
klaatu wrote: January 15th, 2018, 11:54 pm I think the work you are all doing is amazing.
And you're gonna be part of it! :9:
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

Thanks for the details on the specs. I'll be sure to do a 44.1 / 128kbps MP3 file for the official audio test. The intro email probably specified that, I just haven't gotten that far down the email yet :^)

I record to Audacity, as well (it releases to Linux, as well). For voice work, it's just so useful!

I'm happy to hear that you think the recording is not too noisy. Believe it or not, the mic used in that recording is just a headset mic. Specifically, it's this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265153

I only bought the headset for video conferences at work, but it turned out to be such a good little mic that I use it for podcasting and voice-over stuff instead. Best $50 I ever spent. I bought it almost 8 years ago now, and I guard it with my life because I live in fear of having to find something as cheap-yet-good as that.

The mic I probably will end up using, just so I don't have to have my computer on whilst recording, is an H4 Zoom digital recorder.
https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-ZOO-H4-Handy-Recorder/dp/B000LGA2K6
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

klaatu wrote: January 16th, 2018, 2:04 am Believe it or not, the mic used in that recording is just a headset mic.
Well, must have a reason that it is out of stock :lol: Sometimes one can really be lucky :)
klaatu wrote: January 16th, 2018, 2:04 am I guard it with my life because I live in fear of having to find something as cheap-yet-good as that
I bet. So, keep that nice little pearl secure and healthy.
klaatu wrote: January 16th, 2018, 2:04 am The mic I probably will end up using, just so I don't have to have my computer on whilst recording, is an H4 Zoom digital recorder.
The zooms are great, too. You only need to watch the mono/stereo thing and remember, that LibriVox requires mono.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

You are very welcome and I know you will pass with flying colors. I have a few of the Logitech - H390 USB Headsets and they are a steal at $19.99.

You may want to look into the Tascam DR-40 Digital Recorder. I own them and they are great for point a to point b recording. They chime in around $179.00. They also can provide 48v Phantom power if you choose to go with a condenser mic and they have a great feature called "Safe Mode". I look forward to seeing you around the community.
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

Great recommendations and tips! thank you both.