Hello from the UK

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Hi everyone, very happy to be here.

I've been listening and lurking for a long time, as you can see from my registration date! Been intending to volunteer to do some recordings for some time, and now I have a nice new microphone I can actually do it. I'm based in the UK, retired from a career as a patent attorney a few years ago, and have spending much of my time doing Wikimedia stuff (Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikimedia UK), and on photography. Recently I've been trying to help out with some recordings for the Mozilla Common Voice project (https://voice.mozilla.org/). I'm using Audacity on a Mac with an Aston Origin mic and an Audient iD14.

I've been reading through all the introductory material, and looking at the videos. It's still a little unclear what's important and what's not but I'll try jumping in. Have just completed my 1-minute test.

Michael
Cori

Post by Cori »

Welcome to LibriVox, Michael, good to have you joining us. I've not heard of that mic before, but it is lovely-looking! How did you come to choose it?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Spent about 6 months looking up reviews of similar 'inexpensive' (relative term) mics. This one seemed to come out well for neutralness, clarity, and suitability for speech. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Thanks for the welcome!

Michael