Hi to all

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Phil,
My forum name is JayS. Capital J and S.
I don't know if it is case sensitive, but that is the way I get into all the forums.
I have not picked a Catalog name as best as I remember.
Put me in any way you like and I will keep trying.
I know we can get this solved and maybe get some knowledge in the process. I hope so. In the meanwhile I have been doing some tests and I do have one question. Once a test is okay what do I need to do to pass the person on. Is it a simple change in the subject line or what? There are so many ways to mess up and I want to cause fewer problems.
I believe I can find a fit here and I will be doing Act 3 of the play you suggested I try.

Jay
Jay Salam
Nothing sounds as good as audio! 8-)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

JayS wrote:Hi Phil,
My forum name is JayS. Capital J and S.
I don't know if it is case sensitive, but that is the way I get into all the forums.
I have not picked a Catalog name as best as I remember.
Put me in any way you like and I will keep trying.
I know we can get this solved and maybe get some knowledge in the process. I hope so. In the meanwhile I have been doing some tests and I do have one question. Once a test is okay what do I need to do to pass the person on. Is it a simple change in the subject line or what? There are so many ways to mess up and I want to cause fewer problems.
I believe I can find a fit here and I will be doing Act 3 of the play you suggested I try.

Jay
You may give the person the OK to record once you feel they meet the minimum standards. An admin 'should' come along and then add the [OK] to the subject line, usually withing a day or so. This is the way things work now. Feel free to make suggestions to improve their reordings, such as reducing noise a bit, speaking past the mic if they have a problem with plosives, but make sure they know these are just suggestions, that their tech specs are OK. You know what i'm talking about.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
JayS

Post by JayS »

Yes, I have been doing almost precisely that which you suggest. In the course of which I exchanged messages with some with good tech skills of their own. One gentleman informed me that the directions to ReplayGain don't seem to work for him. I couldn't test because I don't even have that plugin. I went through my massive number of plugins to activate it and it was not found. However, if it is true that it doesn't work in the later versions of Audacity, then perhaps that page should be removed. I looked at the page and it seems to me that we have simpler ways of getting the same result.
Just a little something I picked up during my test listens.
*note: I don't know whether I should bother you with such trivia. Is there someone else that would be more appropriate for such matters? I am not accustomed to bothering people with such matters, but feel I am too new here to do much else.

Jay (eager and willing)
Jay Salam
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jay, you can find ReplayGain here and I use it ALL the time, I find it's an invaluable tool. It simply calculates by how much you must amplify or decrease your recording to get to the coveted 89 dB. Before I had ReplayGain, I never knew what to do LOL
The easiest way is to install an extra plugin in Audacity that will tell you by how much the recording needs to be amplified to reach the desired volume of 89 dB.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
I recommend, you copy/paste this info for the newbie in his one-minute thread. It should download on his computer as well. I don't think I ever heard from someone who couldn't download it :hmm:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi good, and long suffering Buddy. Another request for you. Now that you have been entered into the LV system, I would like you to once again try to change your password and getinto th e MW. Click on the BC Admin link, try to change your password and see what happens. If this works then I have discovered a preliminary step that must be done before it works and can remake the video. If not, then I will call upon the wiser heads back here to help me understand.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Phil and Jay
I understand Jay is editing, so he will be unable to access the MW of that project , he will not need to access the MW , he can download the individual files from the link and post the URL for the stitched together final file .
Members need to be BC or DPL to have access to the MW and only for that project.

Hope this helps

Anne
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Sonia and thanks for the ReplayGain tips. They didn't work for me.
Your directions are for Windows and I use a Mac. I have found that a lot of things originally coded for Windows don't play well on a Mac.
After download and opening ReplayGain, I got the message that I needed to download FFmpeg file which I did. Still no good.
I don't need it for myself so I copied and pasted your fine directions into my catalog of tips that I am assembling for helping others.
I feel sure that using Windows with this operation would work better, but money is an object so I will have to do with what I have.
Thanks again for your help.

Jay
Jay Salam
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Phil,
I tried your suggestion and again with the previous result. I am sorry that didn't work and we still have not solved a problem.
I will continue to try any of the things you suggest. Sonia is also being a great help.

However, I understand from Anne that I can do the job without getting into the MW. That is okay with me so long as I can contribute.
I pasted Anne's message below.

Jay

Hi Phil and Jay
I understand Jay is editing, so he will be unable to access the MW of that project , he will not need to access the MW , he can download the individual files from the link and post the URL for the stitched together final file .
Members need to be BC or DPL to have access to the MW and only for that project.

Hope this helps

Anne
Jay Salam
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The threads of conversation are getting tangled here and things are becoming disconnected. I suggest we stop this particular thread and have discussions continue in whatever project or BC/MC Jay is working with or talking to.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Jay, would you mind sharing your technical setup, your sound is just beautiful. :thumbs:
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Eva,
I am more than happy to help. I can tell you that my rig is pretty much top of the line professional stuff and was pretty costly, BUT I can help you get a similar sound (for not nearly so much money) if you need help and advice. I will be most happy to help anyone who asks with a sincere desire to get better.
My Rig:
I am currently recording onto an iMac 27" with I7 4 core processors. On the Mac I use Presonus Studio One v3 Professional to record into. I use a Focusrite 6i6 audio interface and for Patty I usually use a mic which is no longer available (Equation large diaphragm condenser). There are a lot of mics on the market nowadays that will yield similar results and would cost a good deal less. The mic is equipped with an additional wind screen.
My Method:
I usually set the mic about a foot away and not directly in front, but definitely pointing at her mouth. (The mouth need not aim at the mic, but the mic must aim toward the mouth.)
Once recorded, I usually use about 3 plugins. Spectral DeNoise from RX6 by iZotope, R-vox by Waves, and the equalizer from Neutron2 also by iZotope.
I also record at the highest sample rate and bit rate I can so that the minor adjustments I make don't cause artifacts.
Here is what I am willing to do. If you would like me to treat a file you have recorded and are not happy with, I will be most happy to see if I can improve it. If I can, I would be pleased to tell you what I did. If you are interested, let me know. It may be best to use my gmail account so as to not clutter up LV, although I am happy to share results with LV if successful. My gmail is jaysalam AT gmail DOT com.
Jay Salam
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Hello Jay, thanks so much for your reply.

A fair number of people on LV seem to use fairly high end equipment so they may find your info interesting too.

I am not ready to really improve my sound *yet.* (I have such horrible long-term congestion that I should probably quit recording altogether; the last thing I want to do is improve that. :D) I am ready, though, to feel covetousness toward really good sound like yours. It is just nice to have "in the ear" what your sound sounds like.

More and more I feel a little dissatisfied with USB mics. It just always seems that even a modest analog system sounds so much richer and more natural, or at least I am starting to feel that way. I know USB is supposed to be about equal these days but it seems like the difference is just night and day, even now. I really love the sound of all those guys coming over from ACX with their XLR systems, but they invest from the get go.

This is just really for fun, for me anyway, so I am just asking you idly, but it's very nice to have an idea of what you're using. Thanks again!
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm no sound expert - but back when I started the reason we recommended USB was that they bypassed the sound card - so you didn't need a good quality (and thus expensive) sound card . Maybe sound cards are cheaper nowadays it was nearly 10 years ago and maybe it is no longer the case - I'm sure someone will tell me if the quality of your computer is no longer important in the quality of the sound you produce ?

Anne
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Anne,
Interesting comments. However, it is true that a good I/O (Audio interface) costs more than using the sound card in your computer. Still, the quality that can be had for $200, for example, is about the same as what you could get for $600 10 years ago. That is a bit too general, but that is the idea.
One thing to remember is, you can get really good sound with modest equipment used correctly. I hear a lot of files, because I edit and don't read so I hear all the files on a project. A vast majority are less than they could be. But, readers are not trained, as I have been, to hear and identify certain problems. Problems such as plosives (popping p's, t's etc.), sibilance (strong s's, sh's etc.), distortion, EQ uneveness, to say nothing of certain problems unique to spoken word performers, such as mouth ticks, heavy breath marks, and more. Plus, problems such as high noise level during recording, too strong noise removal, poor positioning in relation to the mic and other issues.
A great number of these issues might be solved with simply positioning the mic correctly and even that is unique, depending on your mic, your room, your voice and a few other parameters.
And much of that is not the domain of the artist. Remember, you readers are the reason that people like me exist. If you didn't read, I would have nothing to do. Still, we all want the best product possible and I am most willing to help anyone who sincerely wants to submit a better product to LV. A lot of times someone can get a better sound just by knowing what should be done.
It is wonderful that we can do this at all. 20 years ago, people would be reading into cassette recorders and mailing in the cassettes. Eeeeekkk.
With all that said, I have heard some really good files as well. Right up to pro quality. Quality worthy of being paid for.
For me, personally, it is a joy to try to solve this puzzle---people in many different environments, using totally different equipment, with different levels of audio expertise submit files and my job, as I see it, is to try to make them all sound as if they are in the same room (or on the same stage) and the listener is in the room with them hearing them live. I know it is not possible, but it will always be my goal.
Again, I offer my help to any who wants it.
Long live LibriVox.
Jay Salam
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Good morning,
JayS wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 10:01 pm Still, we all want the best product possible and I am most willing to help anyone who sincerely wants to submit a better product to LV.
Having done a number of tests, frankly, I doubt that all readers want to submit a better product. :lol: Some of them seem just to be happy to read and don't show any interest to go over minimum standards. And if we want to make all books in public domain available, we rely on them - which is fine; someone else might step by and read the book with better quality one day and if not it is at least read. But the readers who want submit a real wonderful recording will ask (if they find you).

I have taken a break from LibriVox for about three years or so, due to life, and I was astonished how good the equipment of them is nowadays. Before the break we often had to battle with built-in-microphones and cheap (and really horrible) headsets, USB microphones were too expensive or not that common yet. Sometimes it was really hard only to get the voice to a level that it could actually be understood against the noise. I haven't heard such a bad recording since I am back <toitoitoiknockonwood>. For some people it seemed to be really hard to invest even the 30+ bugs for an acceptable microphone, an external soundcard? Way to expensive! So I am pretty happy about the widespread USB-mics for an affordable price nowadays :) For my feeling recordings are excellent now compared to the ones some years ago. But of course, I do not have your fine ears.
JayS wrote: November 10th, 2017, 8:35 pm Your directions are for Windows and I use a Mac. I have found that a lot of things originally coded for Windows don't play well on a Mac.
Actually, many things are coded for Linux first and then ported to Windows and Mac :) That is because Linux is an open system. The directions for Audacity work well on Linux.
JayS wrote: November 10th, 2017, 8:35 pm I feel sure that using Windows with this operation would work better, but money is an object so I will have to do with what I have.
Linux would be for free and it runs on Macs, too, there is the option to do a dual-boot (for audio and such Mac still seems to be the better option, but it works meanwhile pretty good on Linux, too). It is fairly evolved meanwhile and if time and being technically involved are no problem, you might want to have a look at it. If you'd like to put the effort in it - it is like with our readers, learning curve is steep and not everybody wants to put the effort in it. I can perfectly understand that :)