Hello! Honored to be here!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
adoombray

Post by adoombray » October 13th, 2017, 10:47 pm

I am a Boston based Chef who is also a huge Civil War Buff - I discovered this page by accident, meant to watch a Ulysses S. Grant documentary on Youtube and was stunned to find the book I have spent years trying to find, Grant's memoirs, read by this site.

I have a degree in culinary arts and work privately - I got time to kill if it is a passion - so I was hoping to maybe help out with some cooking material as a way to return the favor of this wonderful book I am listening to as I type this. Can bring good passion to thing that keeps a roof over my head.

I appreciate the wealth of public material here, and appreciate other volunteers. Kids pay hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for info at college, and this is here for free. This project is a beautiful thing.

Thanks for your time, and pardon if i missed some etiquette on the introduction, its late but I am smiling ear to ear hearing Grant's childhood at the moment

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 14th, 2017, 7:24 am

Welcome!

No etiquette missed. :) Glad you found us, and the book you were so interested in!

Holler if you have questions.
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late to Mend
E E Cummings' time in French prison: The Enormous Room
Three Mile Island Accident Report

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » October 17th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Hi and welcome.
The best starting point is submitting a one minute test and the team there will guide you on getting your setup right. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test There is no need for an expensive mic... a decent USB mic can be bought for about $20 on Amazon. Of course, you can pay a lot more for a better one, but best to see if you enjoy recording before forking out :D

When you start, it is best to read a chapter or two of established projects, but once you are familiar with the site and the process, you can branch out to any Public Domain text that interests you. But, to push one of my projects shamelessly, you might want to look at this project with plenty of sections still open 8-) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66387&hilit=+pantropheon
Poetry is also a popular launch point (see the Short Works forum, dropdown menu at the bottom of the page).

Lynne
Help us finish:

Stories by Foreign Authors - Russian Authors 3 sections remaining

The Great Pearl Secret 8 sections remaining